kevyan

Max. output is 20mW+20mW (16 Ohms Earphones)...

Hi all,

my source Max. output is 20mW+20mW (16 Ohms Earphones).

Does that means that I can only get earphones/headphones which is 16 Ohms and below?

No, it just means that with drivers rated at 16ohms, you can get a max power output of 20mW per driver.

You're free to use earphones of any impedance, but the max power output and max volume will change accordingly.

Try coupling a 300ohm headphone to an iPod. It'll work, but you'll probably only hear people squeaking at max volume.

Edited by radioactive28

no need 300ohm la 70+ already very suffering le

Edited by Xiao_Catz

Oh, by the way, just to add a point: a max of 20mW is rather powerful, considering that your typical bud rated at 16ohm and 95dB/mW theoretically reaches 95dB even at 5% power. The recommended safe hearing level is usually 80~85dB.

If you're using good IEMs, the efficiency is usually higher, about 110dB/mW, with impedance of maybe 32ohms.

Just do the math.

And I doubt you're going to find earphones with less then 16ohms easily.

kevyan, you're using iAudio X5?

Edited by radioactive28

Oh, by the way, just to add a point: a max of 20mW is rather powerful, considering that your typical bud rated at 16ohm and 95dB/mW theoretically reaches 95dB even at 5% power. The recommended safe hearing level is usually 80~85dB.

If you're using good IEMs, the efficiency is usually higher, about 110dB/mW, with impedance of maybe 32ohms.

Just do the math.

And I doubt you're going to find earphones with less then 16ohms easily.

kevyan, you're using iAudio X5?

:D Yeah... I'm using the iAudio X5L. I love the sound it produce on my TC20 and ES5

The recommended safe hearing level is usually 80~85dB.

Probably irrelevant, but I'll just add on to this anyway. The Occupational Safety and Health Administration recommends a maximum of 8 hours of exposure to noise (or music, in our case)at 85dB. Every addition of 3dB makes the noise twice as loud and cuts the recommended exposure duration by half.