Sign in to follow this  
supie

Does cleaning Interconnects with commercial cleaners change the sound

Hi, I read with great interest ion cleaning interconnects with all sorts of cleaning agents such as Profigold, etc. I have not DARED to clean except using alcohol and water only because someone told me all these agents will change the sound of your equipment.

Anyone hear the diff and care to comment on this myth?

I would really like to clean those connectors properly!!

Denatured alchohol is fine for cleaning the RCA connectors of interconnects but you'll need to clean them more often then say using Graig Deoxit followed by Progold (if your RCA is glod plated). As for changing the sound well in theory yes it should but in practice I cannot hear the difference between a Progold treated RCA connector and a non-progold RCA connector.

Just keep the RCA's clean so that theres good electrical contact. (BTW the gold in RCA connectors doesnt improve sound it just delays the onset of oxidation.

Hi, I read with great interest ion cleaning interconnects with all sorts of cleaning agents such as Profigold, etc. I have not DARED to clean except using alcohol and water only because someone told me all these agents will change the sound of your equipment.

Anyone hear the diff and care to comment on this myth?

I would really like to clean those connectors properly!!

Don't really think it will change the sound significantly. I am using Craig Deoxit and ProGold on most of the electrical contact in my home system, portable rig, mobilephone, labtop, etc etc... :grin:

Mainly just to maintain a good electrical contact... ProGold should works on most electrical surface, not only on gold plated ones...

BTW the gold in RCA connectors doesnt improve sound it just delays the onset of oxidation.

I read some where that pro equipment typically uses nickel connectors because it is hardier and the constant plugging in and unplugging removes the oxide layer. In contrast, domestic equipment uses gold plating, as the connectors typically are plugged in and left there for a long time. The gold plating prevents an oxide layer from forming.

Funny thing is, in my home, even the gold plated connectors eventually builds up a dull layer like tarnish/oxide layer. But gold doesn't tarnish, so what is it?

Funny thing is, in my home, even the gold plated connectors eventually builds up a dull layer like tarnish/oxide layer. But gold doesn't tarnish, so what is it?

Check behind your TV or other equipment with non-gold plated RCA jack and see their condition if not in used for some time ... It probably is in much worse condition then the gold plated ones ...

This is part of life for living in tropical climate ...

Check behind your TV or other equipment with non-gold plated RCA jack and see their condition if not in used for some time ... It probably is in much worse condition then the gold plated ones ...

This is part of life for living in tropical climate ...

Yeah I know, it's like tens of times worse. Almost unremovable the corrosion for the non-gold plated stuff.

Yeah I know, it's like tens of times worse. Almost unremovable the corrosion for the non-gold plated stuff.

Probably some rubbing compound (for car polishing :grin: ) will help in removing the oxidation layer ...

i had tried many ... yes, including the expensive PROGOLD

Whats the difference:

PROGOLD: Absolutely no idea what they are doing .... and they are expensive

KONTACT: Done correctly, you will will hear less glare, more body, more depth, more transparencies ... more everything ... in a natural way ... if your system is up to it. Works wonders on tin-plated contacts.

KONTACT is the best ....

IPB Image

KONTACT

Its available in Sg ... AV Musiclink ....

Edited by variablefeedback

Progold G100 is not a cleaner - it binds with the gold plate and further slows down the oxide build up. It should be used when the connectors are new of after the connectors have been cleaned. What you use to clean the oxide away is really up to you. I use pipe cleaners saturated in Deoxit. For heavily oxidised connectors a better option is to replace them.

i had tried many ... yes, including the expensive PROGOLD

Whats the difference:

PROGOLD: Absolutely no idea what they are doing .... and they are expensive

KONTACT: Done correctly, you will will hear less glare, more body, more depth, more transparencies ... more everything ... in a natural way ... if your system is up to it. Works wonders on tin-plated contacts.

KONTACT is the best ....

IPB Image

KONTACT

Its available in Sg ... AV Musiclink ....

Please elaborate "Done correctly" ... Verey interested to know more about kontact ...

you need to clean the contact repeatively with cotton pipe till there is no residue on the pipes. then quickly mate the connectors together.

For Progold, they can be used as cleaners as well but as Ram said, only meant for cleaner contacts. PROGOLD do recommend Deoxit for extensive cleaning purpose. For KONTACT, it is a 2-in-one, cleaner and conditioner.

you need to clean the contact repeatively with cotton pipe till there is no residue on the pipes. then quickly mate the connectors together.

For Progold, they can be used as cleaners as well but as Ram said, only meant for cleaner contacts. PROGOLD do recommend Deoxit for extensive cleaning purpose. For KONTACT, it is a 2-in-one, cleaner and conditioner.

So can I say that the effect of kontact is same as deoxit + progold, right?