neo

upgrading from ibuds

hi, i'm looking for something to replace my ibuds, as i can't hear my music in the mrt.

requirements:

- portable

- good isolation

- used with an ipod without an amp

- mainly for classical music, some pop/rock/jazz/podcasts, no trance/metal

- any kind: IEMs, headphone, etc

- won't mess with my glasses

as i've never used IEMs before, i'm not sure that i'm willing to splurge on a high-end one, only to find that it doesn't suit me. what i have in mind are the crossroads mylarone x3 and the KSC75 (not as much isolation? as long as i can listen on the train without cranking the volume up too much, that's fine). how are these two for classical music, and are there any other headphones you'd recommend?

i have imported my cds using itunes into 160 MP3 or 128 AAC format. Should I be re-ripping them into apple lossless or wav (or anything else) to make full use of the new headphones?

thanks!

Edited by neo

hi, i'm looking for something to replace my ibuds, as i can't hear my music in the mrt.

requirements:

- portable

- good isolation

- used with an ipod without an amp

- mainly for classical music, some pop/rock/jazz/podcasts, no trance/metal

- any kind: IEMs, headphone, etc

- won't mess with my glasses

as i've never used IEMs before, i'm not sure that i'm willing to splurge on a high-end one, only to find that it doesn't suit me. what i have in mind are the crossroads mylarone x3 and the KSC75 (not as much isolation? as long as i can listen on the train without cranking the volume up too much, that's fine). how are these two for classical music, and are there any other headphones you'd recommend?

i have imported my cds using itunes into 160 MP3 or 128 AAC format. Should I be re-ripping them into apple lossless or wav (or anything else) to make full use of the new headphones?

thanks!

Between the two, Mylarx3 would be more ideal. It's more portable and provides much better isolation, as for sound, you'll have to decide for yourself by testing them.

Plenty of choices out there, all you need is time to test them. ;)

The KSC75 offer no isolation. The Mylar X3 is probably good as a budget choice, but that's subject to your sound preference, as are most things.

You can go Stereo Electronics or Jaben Network, they'll let you try out a lot of models, from budget to high-end.

As for bitrate, some find 192kbps MP3 to be transparent enough for commute, then there are those who demand 320 or lossless only.

Very much depends on your ears and how much space you can afford.

Personally, I go 320 for overkill because my collection is pretty small.

Edited by radioactive28

i bought the mylar x3. it's way better than the ibuds, but while most of the sounds on the train were eliminated, i could still hear some ambient noise: occasional train announcements and music from someone's earphones quite some distance away. is that normal? i was listening to the beach boys (160kbs mp3) on a 3g ipod set at slightly more than than 1/3 volume. would rather not play it above 1/2 volume, if possible.

Edited by neo

just throwing u a curve ball here but my modded iM716 blow away alot of mid-end cans with my gear. for not a lot of $$$ u get a seriously good IEM with superb isolation IMO.

2 caveats:

1. learn to fit/seat and use either the triflange or foamie tips. this is very important if u wanna get great sound (esp. bass)

2. if you realy care about SQ and have a strong stomach, consider this mod. i found 33ohm is great for going unamped (although amping makes a huge diff) or 5+/6+ohm if amping for a tad more refinement. (warning:modding may degrade resale value but mod is reversible if done carefully IMO)

FWIW, my combo of Gmod>Tomahawk>modded iM716 allowed me the accuracy and SQ to discern differences in IC cables and even 320AAC-ALAC files. YMMV of'coz. i think SE sells the AL iM716/Ety ER4p/s.

... most of the sounds on the train were eliminated, i could still hear some ambient noise: occasional train announcements and music from someone's earphones quite some distance away. is that normal?

i think that it's A Good Thing that you're not totally cut off from the outside world. if you absolutely cannot hear anything going on around you, isn't it kinda dangerous, esp when crossing the road, etc, no? ;)

i could still hear some ambient noise: ... and music from someone's earphones quite some distance away. is that normal?

on 2nd thots, if you can hear someone else's music, it suggests to me that you are not wearing your mylars properly. i've seen people on buses wearing their canalphones such that they are pointing up, ie, not firmly stuck into their ears... :think:

Actually, there are some nuts out there who let me 'share' their music while I'm on my E4c listening to my own. The announcements still register pretty loud with me, and ambient noises don't die altogether.

If it's not one of those nuts you hearing, maybe you just need a better, firmer seal. (I've never quite liked the flimsy seal of the Sony-type eartips. Maybe you don't too =)

Try searching for heady's eartip mod thread.

Edited by radioactive28