Sign in to follow this  
Guest Felix

Speakers for SACD

Guest Felix

Hello Gurus,

I just upgraded my CDP and AMP. Would new speakers make my set up better? Any Sub $1K bookself or floorstanders to recommand? Must have good soundstage. Used in HDB room for listen to music and watch TV only, no Bed just sofa. No wall hangings (using Yahama YSP) Room is hi echo.

NEW

Pioneer SACD PD-D6

Pioneer Amp A-A6 (45W)

NAD 412 Tuner

UK connections interconnectors

MIT Miterminator 6 speaker cables

AE Aegis 1 (not EVO)

OLD

NAD 522 CDP

NAD C320 Int amp (used as pre)

NAD 214 x 2 (bridged power amp)

NAD 412 Tuner

UK connections interconnectors

MIT Miterminator 6 speaker cables

AE Aegis 1 (not EVO)

treat the room first using your current speakers. Room acoustics is very very very very important. A good sounding setup will still sound like crap in a badly treated room.

How does the pioneer a6 compare to the pioneer a400? They say the a400 was used as a reference while designing this. It looks very good though.

Edited by papaya86

Guest Felix

I have no idea of the A400, never seen or heard, old school I guess.

Cannot do anything more to the room as YSP needs bare walls to work.

Guest Felix

I was at the usual Audio Shopping center over the weekend and listened to the B&W 600 bookself and the QUAD 12L and ATC SMC 7 or 11 forgot.

The QUAD 12L sounds better then the B&W 600. But is about $200 more.

The ATC is a much smaller (in size speaker then the QUAD and B&W) but sounds must bigger. But the ATC when I listen to is using some tube amps but the B&W and QUAD was using Cryus amps.

The ATC cost amost double the QUAD.

I was told by the sales man that the QUAD 21L sounds much better then the QUAD 12L but I not listen to it as I was short of time.

I like the QUAD looks and sound, but the ATC is great. I am just not sure if my system is up to the ATC. In trems of looks the QUAD wins out right. Even speakers costing 4 or 5 times does not have such finish. The bird eye maple have to see to belive.

Still cannot decide on which speakers to get, just not sure how the great speakers will sound on my amp and CDP.

The newer low end b&w speakers are not good imo, kinda bright and thin sounding. why not try magneplanar 1.6? i really like its sound, dont know if ur pioneer can push it well or not. The b&w 805s are pretty good too, albeit more on the analytical side. But you got to up your budget. Contact b&w dealer, i think they'll allow home audition.

Edited by papaya86