MalHead

Head amp at reasonable price in Singapore?

Hi warsurferX

Ok, I understand that head amp can cost from couple hundreds to couple thousands. What I meant is that if a gilmore lite cost USD299, then it should cost around the same in SGD equivalent, probably a bit more for shipping (which shouldn't be the case if the shop carries stock).

Actually, I'm looking for a amp to pair my Alessandro MS2. Since it's MS2 (ie. mid-range cans) I don't want to spend too much on amp that may be an overkill for MS2

Also, it depends on the source as well, which I'm also looking for an upgrade from my current old Sony DVD player.

So, any good place to suggest?

Thanks

Well.. the amps that you've read about on Head-fi are 'mostly' unavailable in Singapore.

Jaben at Adelphi carries the RSA Tomahawk, Hornet and SR-71, Headamp AE-2, Go-Vibes, C&C, Xtra and a couple of other brands. Reasonably priced i'd say. There's also the Taiwanese Firestone products.. pretty good stuffs.

Stereo Electronics has got the audio-technicas and the Xenos I believe.

Alpha Audio has got the X-Cans.

Anyway, there's also the Classifieds if you dun mind used. A couple of Portaphiles there at the moment i think.

Oh ya. There's also our locally made Diva amps. Available at Sky Audio.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

What is your current setup? Any suggestion for the MS2? Apart from the X-Cans, the rest seem like real portable amps. X-Cans receive good reviews in Head-Fi.

DIVA is too high end and very x.

Before yesterday, I went to Diva website and found that most amps are in the thousands, until last evening I realize that they also have headamp (not mentioned in their website). If it is around S$750, then it is within my budget.

Do you have any experience with Diva headamp + MS2? Can give any input? Thanks.

Hi MalHead,

I had a brief listening of diva + Alessandro Music Pro/MS2/K601/K701 and beyer cans at Jaben. I was quite impressed with the compo of diva + MSPro/K701.

Another forumer was trying the beyer cans and the Alessandro with the diva amp also and I think he eventually bought the MS pro and a k501.

You could search for some of the earlier post here in SgHp for the details.

Like other forumers have suggested, pay a visit to sky audio and jaben and get the first hand impression of the gears.

:cans:

Thanks Charismatic, I've just tested the Diva headamp with the MS2 at Sky Audio, and am impressed with the details, clarity and extra soundstage from this amp. Next, I like to test a good solid state amp, so will make a trip to Adelphi or SLS.

Any suggestion? Thanks

Hi Malhead,

You could visit Jaben or Alpha Audio in Adelphi or Han Brothers in SLS.

Before yesterday, I went to Diva website and found that most amps are in the thousands, until last evening I realize that they also have headamp (not mentioned in their website). If it is around S$750, then it is within my budget.

Do you have any experience with Diva headamp + MS2? Can give any input? Thanks.

The website is just an intro for the uninitiated. What I find useful is the Diva Book.

The headamp is available at Jaben and it is within your budget.

I have the Diva + MS Pro/AKG501/AT W100, DT990, pick one, all sound good, but my favourite is the ATW100. The DT990 combo is also very good match. FYI the Diva was designed with the AKG501, so driving that (difficult to drive) can is not a problem. In the design of the Diva, I asked Lim to specifically design it to drive both low impedence and high impedence cans. I think he has succeeded wonderfully.