Sign in to follow this  
ablaze

Headamp Gilmore V2 sale!

Value of individual components is one thing but how do you put a value to "labour of love"? wink.gif

razerx,

How do you like your V2-SE out of the Cary 303?  Any comparisons to other sources?

My kit is pretty simple: Cary 303/200 -Cardas Neutral Reference - V2 SE - RS-1. While waiting for the V2-SE to arrive I used the X-CansV2/X-PSU and the sound was much too shrill and at times especially with unremastered CD's quite flat with the RS-1 to the point that I had to box my beloved Grados for the HD600. I think the HD600 sounded quite good with the X-Cans. It has a warm forgiving sound even with so-so recordings and the bass is ok. When the V2SE finally arrived the differences were apparent. Both the RS-1 and HD600 definately reached their respective potential. I am still somewhat a newbie and don't know the audio terms but in short the V2SE/Cary 303 has a wider soundstage and better separation of the instruments even in complicated recordings. The bass is tight and solid not the mushy kind I get with the X-Cans when I play it loud. There is no shrill at all with the V2SE with any type of recording, remastered or not. In the past I had to switch to the Sennheiser when my ears start to bleed from the Grados wacko.gif I am trying to sell my X-Cans here and my honest review isn't going to help. The X-CansV2 needs the X-PSU and some tuberolling to sound right so the total cost easily exceeds your original V2 price.

I am really impressed with the Cary. I have been upgrading my older CD's with remastered versions when they are available, but I find that is not necessary with the Cary. With upsampling the Cary makes my old recordings sound remastered. One of my favorite CD's of all times is Peter Gabriel/So. This CD was absolutely horrid with my NAD 520. The limited edition remastered redbook sounded like night and day when I got it and I played it in heavy rotation for weeks. However the old redbook version upsampled through the Cary sounded as good as the remastered version. My old really bad Springsteen, Dylan and Meatloaf recordings got the same treatment. I read reviews on the Bel Canto DAC2 and it is supposed to do the same thing but the Cary doesn't cost much more and you get the transport too

headphone.gif

I don't have another source but will pick up a cheap SACD player at some point since the V2SE has three inputs it would be a shame to waste them wink.gif

Thanks for the info. Right now I have an Arcam CD23, but will be getting a new source. This isn't because I don't like the sound out of the Arcam CD23, but I actually need something good with balanced outputs for use with building my balanced Gilmores. Good excuse for an upgrade too. I can probably get about $1000 for the arcam. A used Cary 303 would run about $1500, a 306 $2500. Also will consider the Sony SCD-1 for around the same. However, I have heard the SCD-1 is fantastic for SACDs but not so good on Redbook. I don't own any SACDs and most titles don't interest me so I don't think this is the best choice.

Then I saw this and I'm quite interested in trying it out:

http://www.audiomeca-usa.com/cdstats.htm