Sign in to follow this  
steroiduser

AKG 701 what headamps can drive these babies?

not easy huh? what's your budget? u might have to spend a little more trying to amp this bugger. try the Higher Fidelity HA-01 at Stereo E. or even the Harman Kardon AVR145 wide-bandwidth receiver. both have ease of drive with the 701. with the Harman receiver to can use its treble contour to tame a little of the highs. AKG belongs to the Harman family and somehow their products have a certain synergy with each other. when u get the right match, very few current production headphones can touch the 701 for soundstage, timbre, transparency & musical immediacy. but it's a bi-tch to amp.

Edited by sghound

How much you willing to spend? A sp extreme can drive anything in the dynamic range. I'm driving them with a Platinum w/bg output caps using a Raytheon 6414 gain and RCA 6880s.

I've heard the K701 (stock and recabled w/ Jena Labs) driven out of a SP Platinum Extreme and Meridian G08. Great sound.

The headphone amp of the DAC1 (recent revision) and Graham Slee Solo sounded pretty good with the K701 too.

Haha. Actually some person I spoke to didn't like the Jena cable. His reason was the Jena Labs recable made it sound slightly harsher than before. A quick listen confirmed his observations. The K701 was faster and more responsive than before and that might give the impression that it is harsh. Personally, I'd have to do a more extensive comparison first. It would be in your best interest to buy an additional pair of re-cabled K701 for comparison purposes :thumbup:

Edited by milkpowder

YES agree with the Bi*** to amp part.

how about the cayin ha1a i tried these and they sound quite good.

not as good as lavry but good

:D

any suggestions out there?

I tried it with the HA1A and stock tubes but there was audible hiss past the 9 o'clock position

Is it bad of me to let the dog damage the stock cable to sneak in a Jena or RAL cable? :innocent:

Poor mutt! But I guess as long as you don't punish him.

Poor mutt! But I guess as long as you don't punish him.

You kidding, he would get a treat. Good boy. No scoldings. I just have to make sure he gets no access to a new cable.

:b2t

Being that the k701s are so forward, a tube amp will round off the digital harshness and add warmth to the lean presentation. No knock to a SS amp, they are great for Senns, they add a forward presentation.

Of course, this is just my opinion. :yes:

I would head over to headamp.com and get yourself the Gilmore Lite Headphone Amp. It is a very nice amp. I just wish they still had it in black. haha