PPkiller

D1 opamp.. share ur findings...

Thanks, have been experiencing intermittent d/c, but only recently.

thanks to this thread, i've been busy check farnell for op-amps to roll today. however, most of them are in SOIC. how do you guys convert them to DIP and where to get the adapters? am a newbie when it comes to DIY.

thanks in advance for the advice!

try changing your usb cable.. it fix this problem for me..

Thanks! now is there any soldering master accepting pupils? the soldering looks difficult as the SOIC pins look kinda small.. any tips on that?

What op-amps do you intend to roll? I have some spare ones already soldered to DIP 8 adaptors for sale, pm me if interested.

Hi, would like to clarify something with regard to the L/R opamp.

If i want to use single amplifier opamps like the AD797 or the AD743, does this mean i need 2 of each and solder them to a Single-to-Dual Adapter before it can be used? Thanks in Advance!

Also, what are u guys using for the L/R?

If i want to use single amplifier opamps like the AD797 or the AD743, does this mean i need 2 of each and solder them to a Single-to-Dual Adapter before it can be used? Thanks in Advance!

Correct. Instead of soldering the op-amps directly onto the adaptor, solder DIP8 sockets to facilitate rolling

Also, what are u guys using for the L/R?

AD743, with LMH6655 as buffers.

Phew, my browndog adapters finally arrived after 1 month. I'm currently looking for L/R recommendations. I'm thinking of getting the AD4841-2.

I also have 1xAD743, so i'll need to get 1 more. Problem is, i didn't order the single to dual adapter! does anyone have a spare?

Any other recommendations?

I also have 2 spare LMH6643s, if anyone wants them :)

mimi, do you have a chance to try ne5532 for buffer? my ne5532 came as stock buffer for my D1.. happen to take it out and give it a try.. quite a good buffer imo...

mimi, do you have a chance to try ne5532 for buffer? my ne5532 came as stock buffer for my D1.. happen to take it out and give it a try.. quite a good buffer imo...

Yes, I did compare the ne5532 with the other buffers. IMO, it does a decent job, but it's a bit too forward and lacking in soundstage for my taste. With your HD650s, it should help to brighten up the sound slightly and tighten up the mid bass slightly.

Btw, do you still have any spare LT6234 soldered on a DIP8 adaptor?

Edited by mimi

depends on the opamps.. some uses more power.. some less...

Yes, I did compare the ne5532 with the other buffers. IMO, it does a decent job, but it's a bit too forward and lacking in soundstage for my taste. With your HD650s, it should help to brighten up the sound slightly and tighten up the mid bass slightly.

Btw, do you still have any spare LT6234 soldered on a DIP8 adaptor?

i agree..

i will check... one of my lm 6655 is damaged.. sad... most prob due to the previous meet...

Finally i've begun on my opamp rolling journey! thanks to PPkiller for his excellent workmanship on the soldering work!

I've run into a problem wrt the DAC opamp socket. there's not enough clearance on the sides for the browndog adapter to be seated properly. the stock opamp comes on raised adapters with extended legs. How do i solve this problem? can i just get an IC socket from SLT which should give me enough height to clear the blocks at the sides?

finally, some impressions: i'm really surprised the D1 can drive the HD650s pretty well! The mids and highs are very acceptable though it seems to have a harder nature than what i'm used to. the bass still sorely loses out compared to when driven by the LD mk V, but still listenable. soundstaging and openess is still good. Using the 4841-2 with 6643 buffers currently, and stock 8616 dac opamp.

One last question: if i run the D1 using the line out, does the L/R and buffer opamps affect the line-out sound as well?