Sign in to follow this  
sghound

Stereophile Recommended Home Digital Players Oct 2007

latest rankings to help out in your source search. not ranked in terms of price but performance. remember it's only a listing to help you get into the ballpark, the rest is up to your ears. guide price in US dollars.

CLASS A+

Ayre C-5xe - $5950

Classe cdp-202 - $6500

Esoteric X-01 Limited - $14,100

Meridian Reference 800 - $19,950

Muse Polyhymnia - $7150

Sony SCD-XA9000ES - $2999

CLASS A

Ayre CX-7e - $2950

Cary Audio Design CD-303/300 - $4000

Denon DVD-5910CI - $3800

Ensemble Dirondo - $9350

Esoteric SA-60 - $4600

Linn Unidisk SC - $5510

McCormack UDP-1 - $3495

Marantz SA8001 - $1000

Musical Fidelity kW DM25 - $7000

Nagra CDP - $13,495

Naim CD555 - $30,850

Naim CD5X - $3250

Primare CD31 - $2295

Rega Saturn - $2395

Simaudio Moon Orbiter - $6000

Simaudio Moon Evolution SuperNova - $5900

CLASS B

Atoll Electronique CD200 - $2000

Cambridge Audio Azur 740C - $1099

Cary Audio Design Concept CDP 1 - $2000

Cayin CDT-23 - $1495

Cyrus CD 8x - $2199

Linn Majik - $3500

Music Hall cd25.2 - $599

Musical Fidelity X-Ray V8 - $1500

Quad 99 CDP-2 - $1350

Rega Apollo - $995

ReQuest F2.400 - $3000

Simaudio Moon Equinox - $2600

CLASS C

Olive Symphony WiFi media server - $899

Oppo Digital DV-970HD - $149

Edited by sghound

Interesting that the Marantz SA8001 ranks in the same league as the Rega Saturn while the Rega Apollo is relegated to Class B, despite the price differences.

Anyone seen the SA8001 locally?

Interesting that the Marantz SA8001 ranks in the same league as the Rega Saturn while the Rega Apollo is relegated to Class B, despite the price differences.

Anyone seen the SA8001 locally?

8001 is the US model.

the local version that uses torroidal and copper chassis is 7001KI. helluva bargain at around 1k sgd at KEC in adelphi. and with slightly better specs than the US.

SA7001KI

Edited by sghound

Have you heard the SA7001KI? Any impressions of this CDP?

i've only heard the SA7000, and the main impression i got was that it was very analog sounding. i did not try the SACD playback but heard only the red-book performance. very musical in the typical Marantz mold and u can listen hours on end without your ears getting fatigued. i can only imagine how much more awesome Ken's mod will be. both my rega apollo & oppo players could hardly compete in staging, depth or air. at double the price, you'll be hard-pressed to find anything that can match the Marantz. i'm seriously considering a xmas purchase.

i've only heard the SA7000, and the main impression i got was that it was very analog sounding. i did not try the SACD playback but heard only the red-book performance. very musical in the typical Marantz mold and u can listen hours on end without your ears getting fatigued. i can only imagine how much more awesome Ken's mod will be. both my rega apollo & oppo players could hardly compete in staging, depth or air. at double the price, you'll be hard-pressed to find anything that can match the Marantz. i'm seriously considering a xmas purchase.

Wow. I must go down to KEC one day to audition the SA7001KI. Wonder how it matches up to the CEC TL51XZ :think:

I am also thinking about this. However I cam across the Pioneer PD-6 which also does SACD and mp3. Have you heard this? How would it compare to the SA7001 KI?

I am also thinking about this. However I cam across the Pioneer PD-6 which also does SACD and mp3. Have you heard this? How would it compare to the SA7001 KI?

no i haven't compared them.