Sign in to follow this  
Theatre Of Dreams

my Samsung seems retiring, time for a replacement?

After dropping my 21-mth-old long serving Samsung YH-J50, it can no longer show anything but a blank white screen. Audio output and controls are still good, but I can only navigate like a blind man. I've tried the Reset button but to no avail. Have yet to visit the service centre, but my warranty's over anyway. Any suggestion of any remedy for this pls??? :(

If it's really time for a change, I'll be looking for at least a 4GB flash player at slightly over $200. Decent sound quality is what I'll consider too, hope that it can match my UE SF3 well, without the fuss of a portable amp. Hope can get suggestions from you guys.

Currently what I have in mind:

1. iPod Nano 4GB - I swear I'd always been 'anythingbutipod' but the latest nano has really got me attracted, though some find it ugly. What I'm very concerned is that, has Apple improved this nano's sq from the previous generations? DBS has a promotion for the 4GB one at $218, is this considered very cheap already?

2. Creative Zen 4GB - I think I'd almost have immediately pounced on this if the lunchtime promotion at $199 is still on. Back to the usual price now at $249, I think I'll prefer the iPod. Any news if a similar promotion is coming up? And, has Creative brushed up the durability? I had a nightmare of problems with the Zen Micro in the past.

3. Creative Zen V Plus 8GB - Online store has a very attractive deal at $249 for 8GB, but however this seems to be a sunset model already so it's holding me back. How has this been performing so far?

I've always been a big fan of Korean MP3 makers like Samsung, iRiver, iAudio, but they're not as mainstream so I've lost touch with the latest models. I think these are better performers, but they're typically more expensive for the same storage.

Finally, thanks for any response. :)

Edited by Theatre Of Dreams

Haha good news that my Samsung's recovered; bad news that no more excuse for new player.

Had gut feeling to leave the player on overnight. When I switched it on in the morning (it'd shutted down due to low batt), it was fine again. I wonder why the Reset button can't simulate a power cut like this.