Sign in to follow this  
xand

Tell me about your custom IEMs

I'm thinking about getting some. (Probably UE11s but I'm not sure yet.).

The cons, AFAIK, are:

the price (I'll have to deal with it)

the size of the thing (customs are typically bigger than universals right?)

possibility of ill fitting headphones (has anyone had a problem with this which had to be dealt with by shipping it back (horror of horrors - to the US) for refitting? How much does it cost to ship? Are [Westone/livewire people/Ultimate ears] terrible about it? )

I'm probably still going to be powering them without a headphone amp (shuffle, psp) - the key reasons to get them are:

better highs (I also have an ety4p which smacks the jeebus out of the super.fis for highs but I end up using super.fis anyway because they have much better bass)

more isolation (should be a given?

more comfort (I would expect this to be more comfortable than any universal fit IEM)

-

Audiologist - any to recommend in Singapore? There's TT Sound (or something) in the Yes optical shop in Suntec I know - are they any good?

--

comments? Have I missed stuff out? Is it crazy to pay so much money? Should I pick [insert brand/model] instead?

Alternatively, if there's some universal that you already like, you could just have a custom tip made for that model.

Advantages:

- costs a lot less

- same sound that you already like, no chance of being disappointed by a sound you've never tried before (of course, it's not like full customs can be disappointing, but some people can be very picky about their sound)

- you can still sell the universal later on

- isolation should be just as good

Disadvantages:

- universal + custom tip will never be as compact or flush-fitting as a full custom (ER4 or sf5/tf10 with custom tips are huge asses that stick out of your ears)

That sounds interesting - except I don't -love- the sound of either of the universals I have - both of which have notable disadvantages (ety4p - bass amount; EU s.fp5 - comparatively muffled highs).

Do you think getting, say, a UE t.fp or a Shure E530 + custom tip is a better idea than a set of customs?

I'm tempted to just try something like the livewires (which would be similar in price to the universal + custom tip solutions) but if I'm doing that perhaps just going all out is the better idea. Upgrading incrementally is rarely the best way to do things.

Do you think getting, say, a UE t.fp or a Shure E530 + custom tip is a better idea than a set of customs?

I'm tempted to just try something like the livewires (which would be similar in price to the universal + custom tip solutions) but if I'm doing that perhaps just going all out is the better idea. Upgrading incrementally is rarely the best way to do things.

yes. go for it. no regrets.

I went for the triple.fi + custom tips combo and regretted it.

I absolutely love the triple.fi sound signature but the custom tips just roll off the treble =[

Perhaps my ears are just funny, cos friends who went for the same route told me the custom tips alter the sound minimally.

My advice is blow the buck and get the bang from UE11pros.

Guest Cruise

If money is of no issue, then UE11pro will be the end of the IEM journey..

Yes optical shop in Suntec I know - are they any good?

they did a perfect job for my LW.

another great-sounding pair of customs to consider is the Futuresonic Ear Monitors. after being tired of the armature sound, i might consider this. dynamic drivers give more feel of the music than armatures.

http://www.futuresonics.com/earmonitors/

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

You didn't buy the LWs from Jaben?

Also - you do realise that LW + FS = one UE11 right? ;)

budget?

That's true. I have no idea whether it's worth it.

You didn't buy the LWs from Jaben?

Also - you do realise that LW + FS = one UE11 right? ;)

That's true. I have no idea whether it's worth it.

got it from jaben but did impressions at suntec.