Sign in to follow this  
blacklistor

UE SP5 versus TP 10 versus audio technica ESW9

heya, i need solid advice on this matter man. i went to jaben today to try the audio technica ESW9. i kind off liked the soundstage it offers. i was listening to Carpenters's' EVERY SHA on it and it sounded really soothing and peaceful. it sounded better than MY current UE superfi. 5 pro. i'm rather tempted to get the ESw9. But i have no idea whether would it be a mistake.

Or should i perhaps get UE triple10. pro? i tested it for a while today too. its soundstage is significantly better than superfi5. pro. however, its price tag is much bigger than ESw9 too. i read that UE 10pro works best with bit rates like 192kbps and above. My songs, i suspect at least 50% of which are perhaps at 128kbps. which means that if i get the UE 10 pro, i can't exactly reap the benefits of UE10 pro right? because i couldnt feel the difference between 10PRO and superfi.5 except the soundstage. is the bit rate causing this problem? and also, it's tough for me to up the bitrate since most of my songs are downloaded.

i would greatly appreciate it if someone can shed some light on this matter!

also, is the ESW9 isolation bad? someone said tt its isolation is not as good as superfi.5 pro? but can it block out most sounds on the train?

Guest dragonboy

The isolation for 10pro and 5 pro are the same. It's all about the fitting. If u have no problem with the 5 pro, I don't you'll have any with the 10pro.

Though the ESW9 is a closed-cans, isolation will not be like the IEMs. If you're looking for improvement in SQ, like soundstaging or music layout, headphones always have a winning advantage over earphones.

If you can't hear differences between sf5p and tf10p, maybe you could try changing the source? And the first step in this hobby is to quit those mp3s. Get CDs then rip to loseless or if you have to >192kbps LAME mp3.

i just bought the complys yst actuallly. it doesnt seem to be such of a WOAH afterall..cause b4 the complys, i kinda customed the earbuds to my own preference by using a smaller size for my left ear n a bigger size for the right ear. the fitting is okay, not exactly fantastic but acceptable.

Isolation on ESw9..is it really tt lacking? i tried it b4 at CK TANG's last level where they allow u free auditioning of audio technica products..despite the rather loud ambient noise, the isolation seems to hold up pretty well for me..or was it bc i was too into the music tt i keep increasing the volume? i wonder. hahahahs.

have u tried b4 er6i's foamtips isolation? those r really woohoo! blocks out the sound like nuts!

betweent ESw9 and TF10, which soundstage is better? cause i think i may be a more soundstage person..cause the carpetners sound sounded so good on the esw9!

yup, thanks for ur reply! yes..i guess so tt's the gist. for tF10 to work at its peak, which bit rate is the best? as in optimum yet saves space on my hardisk player. 256kbps?

I have tried the ESW9 and love the sound signature. It has a warm sound very similar to my Shure E5C. But the isolation is nowhere near. I would say that they would be good for office or home use where the environment is not so loud. Tested them at Stereo and had to turn the volume to 12 on my toma to hear the songs at an audible volume. The sound stage is definitely better then any IEMs.

have u tried the ESW9 on the train or buses b4?

is the isolation tht bad?

isnt it closed can..thought closed can would be rather okay..?

is the soundstage better than shure e530?

and is the soundstage one of the better ones for closed can headphones?

sorry for bombarding u with these questions! cause i need to make a critical decision on whetehr to get ESW9, TF10 or shure e530!

Guest Cruise

Hi there,

I have tried ESW9 and own the Shure SE530. SE530 soundstage is okay IMO, but it is never as close to the soundstage of any headphones. IEMs soundstage seems "trying to create" but ultimately, cannot hold a candle to the headphones. Listening to IEMs seems like the sound is centralised in your forehead, while the soundstage created by headphones can be thought of as you are surrounded by the sound.. Well, these are of course my experience..

Depending on the usage, you might want to decide between the soundstage and the isolation.. Which is more important to you..

Really, this bore down to when do you often use the phones.. Whether is it in the office? MRT? or any other places..

Choosing TF10 and SE530 isn't all that hard too..

TF10 = Detail, better midrange

SE530 = More bassy and covered much of the details..

Pardon me as I'm not good at decribing sound.. But I hope this helps :)

thaNKs for ur reply!

think i gotta really try both to see the difference! what bout if u rip the songs at 320kbps or lossless format and u listen to these high quality songs from the TF10 or shure 3530, do they really sound orgasmic?

think my major problem here is not choosing between TF10 or shure e530 BUT choosing between ESW9 OR IEMS..hmmm

i currently own a superfi. 5 pro..i seldom listen to it at home..occasionally thoh. i use my IEMS 90% of the time on the train or bus..tt's when the problem enters..must i turn up the volume real high in order to enjoy the music streaming from ESW9?

i dont wanan make a mistake of getting the inappropriate music-ware then later keep upgrading! though i would love to say tt it would be best to own both IEMs n ESW9 but ah! im not born with a silver spoon hahahhas..

do u know of anyone who personally owns ESW9?

i have read reviews..they seem to be head over heels with ESw9...is it one of the top notch for CLOSED CAN headphones?

Guest Cruise

if you are talking about top notch closed can headphones, Ultrasone Edition 9 might be one of them.. But it seems very inappropriate to bring them out, since they cost about $2k? But nevertheless, I have seen someone bringing them out once at Gombak market..

Anyway, thats beside the point. I don't think people's review will do any good since we all have different ears and different taste.. "As long as you love the sound, other people's review doesn't really matters."

Be careful, as turning up the volume too high might impair your hearing abilities..

IMO, I don't find any difference just putting lossless files into your portables.. Cause I can't hear any difference between a 320kbps file and lossless file.. Also, my mp3 player (NW HD5) does not support lossless.. Probably an amp setup or imod might separate the difference (try them, don't quote me on this)

To me, a home setup would give me the "sound orgasmic" :)

But, neverthless, your mileage might vary..

Edited by Cruise

i have read reviews..they seem to be head over heels with ESw9...is it one of the top notch for CLOSED CAN headphones?

top notch closed can would be Ultrasone Ed9, Denon D5000, JVC DX1000 or AT W5000. but all these are more for home or studio use.

the ESW would make one of the better portable closed cans, together with Senn HD25 & Denon D1000 or the likes.

Edited by sghound

I own both the SF5 pro and the ESW9.

Between the 2, I use the SF5 pro if I need to take my music outdoor. The ESW9 is purely for indoor use.

You have mentioned that you've already auditioned the ESW9. Am not too sure what your options are. Are you planning to sell your SF5 pro to get the ESW9? If that's the case then I wouldnt recommend it. If you're considering a set of ESW9 in addition to your SF5 pro, then I would say go for it.

BTW, the ESW9 may not be a top-notch set of phones, but I would have no problem choosing it for a listening session any time.

Edited by osocan

so..u wouldnt recomment esw9 for outdoor use? cause the isolation isnt as good? that's a pity..cause i always intending to bring it out! it has tt nice soundstage..and most of my music listenign time is outside..sigh. guess i should be looknig at IEMS...for further upgrades..

i think i like the esw9 pretty mucch! but if the isolation's not tt good..and if i gotta turn up the vol. in order to listen to it..and tt m,ay impair mmy hearing abilities..then i think i should be looking at IEMs instead..

I own the TP10 and like the sound and small enough to carry around.This afternoon,went over to T*ng to test out the ESW9.But they do not have a proper souce to try out so i just use my handphone to try it out.Sound good to me,if with a proper souce it will be a nice headphone to keep. :cans:

I have owned the ESW9 and now own the Triple.Fi. Both are very good phones. The ESW9 has one limitation that I thought with the right amp the Triple.Fi cleared up. That is the bass on the ESW9 gets a bit congested with the right tracks while with the iQube amp the Triple.Fi is very clear with everything. The Triple.Fi also needs the right amp. With the Xin Reference it was to warm for me so the iQube entered the picture and cleared that up.

The ESW9 sounds very much like a good AT headphone. The Triple.Fi sounds nearer the Sennheiser sound as far as I am concerned..

Just one opinion.

Edited by slwiser

i finally headed down to jaben today! i tried the TF10, Shure E530 and ESW9..

i decided not to get ESW9 anymore as i gotta up the volume quite a bit in order to listen to it..

hence, i was down to 2 options, shure or ultimate ears! shure definitely looked nicer, more sleek!

initially, when i tried the TF10, i couldnt sense the difference between superfi. 5 pro and it. i think it may probably be bc of my prior listening to my mp3 for an hr or so before i went to jaben.. but after an hr of listening..i could tell the difference.

TF10 is clearer than superfi. 5 pro..it's hard to really describe everything but the overall sound sounds better..there's this clarity bout it and the vocals are better.

on the other hand. shure e530 was a disappointment. it didn't sound like what the reviews have raved about.. in fact i thought it sounded very similar to superfi. 5 pro

so..i have decided to get TF10! but i guess i would wait till uncle wilson is back! cause he does provide better service and price! because' he's the boss afterall!

also, yst i ripped several songs at lossless (WAV) format..i played both my WAV and 128 kbps (same song, different bit rate) on my mp3 using TF10..seriously, i couldnt hear any difference! either the difference is too subtle or my ears are numbed by that one hr of lsitening i alr had..or perhaps my ears are not as golden as they should be..hmm..