Sign in to follow this  
mouz

AMB Sigma11 suitable for SOHA or Millett Max?

Hi guys, I've been thinking of building a dedicated power supply for a SOHA or Millett max amp, but being a newbie in electronics terminology, I've got some queries.

In the schematics, it shows DC out but both of the above amps requires AC. I kind of know AC and DC are different but one statement stated under 'Power transformers' on the parts page prompt me to ask this question. Can the AMB Sigma11 be used for the above amps?

The appropriate VA rating of the transformer depends on the intended load. The recommended transformer ratings for a M³ or Millett Hybrid headphone amplifier is 15VA or 25VA. For a PPA headphone amplifier, a 15VA transformer is sufficient.

The sigma 11 psu is not for amps like soha and millet max. U shld buy a transformer or ac-ac adapter to power these amps.

The sigma 11 psu takes an ac input from the transformer or ac-ac adapter and outputs a dc voltage. The soha and millet hybrid max takes the ac input and there are circuits on the pcb that converts it to dc for use.

I have not looked at the Millet but the SOHA needs AC power supply due to the circuitry needs different voltages for different parts. The neat thing about the SOHA is how it provides these voltages from AC.

If you bypass these and provide DC direct, you will need more than one power supply and then it won't be a SOHA any more. :)