greebo

MS2 on a mission

Anyone knows of a good desk-bound amp for the Alessandro MS2i?

For quite some time, I have been trying to find a good partner for my MS2 cans. I've always liked the level of detail that can be heard from it, but the bass just isn't deep and satisfying enough.

So, I've been looking for a deskbound headphone amp with the following features in mind:

- solid state

- RCA input & output (output for my powered speakers)

- small footprint (preferably something around 25cm x 20cm, if possible)

- great bass qualities

Anyone out there with recommendations to make? I will really appreciate it

Edited by greebo

Guest dragonboy

Ibasso D1 would fit in well at a very affordable price but I think the local distributor stereo is already out of stocks. But you can call them to check.

budget?

I guess I'm willing to pay up to SGD400 for the amp, though value-for-money is still a big plus for me ;)

maybe you could try ray samuels, meier audio and such , they have quite some features

Any particular model to recommend, especially for good bass?

Ibasso D1 would fit in well at a very affordable price but I think the local distributor stereo is already out of stocks. But you can call them to check.

I did audition the Ibasso D1 at Stereo using their Grado sr325 when it was initially introduced, but found it a tad too bright and sibilant.. but i do wonder if it was because my ears weren't as conditioned to the Grado sound then.. :P

Then again, I already have a DAC, so a dedicated headphone amp with (hopefully) a line-out for speakers might be more suitable for my purposes. Did read some reviews out there that mentioned the D1 doesn't quite sound as good if its DAC is not utilised.. :huh:

from my own experience, i recommend headamp gilmore lite.

its bass is not thumping huge like tube amps but it does give very lean quality bass. it worked so nicely with hd650, ms2, sr325i, dt990.

you can order a new one from headamp but the waiting time is months. fortunately, this item comes up quite often in the for-sale section on head-fi.

from my own experience, i recommend headamp gilmore lite.

its bass is not thumping huge like tube amps but it does give very lean quality bass. it worked so nicely with hd650, ms2, sr325i, dt990.

you can order a new one from headamp but the waiting time is months. fortunately, this item comes up quite often in the for-sale section on head-fi.

I've had a few recommendations for this amp as well! In fact, I've been dying to have a chance to audition a burned-in set, but so far no luck :cry:

Gotta hear it to see whether it's gonna be worth the months of scrimping and saving :P

Can try audio technica AT-HA20. Desktop Amp with a pretty small dimension and 2 stereo out puts. Not too bright and has a base hump it seems. Its not a extremely good amp but for about 200, its better then most portable amps.