Sign in to follow this  
Jon_lwl

Pls Advise on a New 2.1 Set-up

Hi All,

I am not sure if I am consider an audiophile lol cos I am 1 hell of a noob

Hope you guys could give me some advise, honest comments or any pointers on my topic

I am doing some research on how to set-up a 2.1 channel in my own room (relatively small)

As I am a Bass Junkie, Bass Fanatics or Whatever you call it lol, I am very interested in speakers and a sub-woofer which can deliver the 'punch'/ Deep 'tight' bass sound.

Will be using it for Music, Movies and Games purposes

Music Genres/ Albums which I usually listens to will be Linkin Park, Sound tracks like Advent Children (more towards orchestra mixed with metal), R&B, Drum & Bass and Trance

During my research, what I found, hopefully will be suited to my "Deep Bass Taste" and yet still perform very well for music listening. I've come out with

A pair of Quad 12L Speakers

A Paradigm 10 inch PDR series sub-woofer

Haven't decided on the AMP yet (care to advise? :P)

Already have a Pioneer DVD player

The thing is, I am not sure if is a good combi, What's the price of a pair of Quad 12L and A Paradigm PDR series 10 inch Sub-woofer.

What Amplifier I should get so to have the optimal performances

Really need help, Please kindly advise

Advance Thanks and Appreciation

Jon

Wow their promos are great, Thanks!

I saw some reviews about tannoy and are pretty good about it

Gonna do some research on Klipsch, is a new brand to me lol

Wow their promos are great, Thanks!

I saw some reviews about tannoy and are pretty good about it

Gonna do some research on Klipsch, is a new brand to me lol

klipsch is one of the oldest brands in speakers. the promedia throws a large soundstage for its dimunitive size.

u won't regret.

Edited by sghound

Klipsch promedia 2.1 sure no regrets bro try watching Saving private Ryan or Starwars episode 1 and listen to your favorite music on it and you know what i meant bro.... i am holding my promedia 2.1 for 6yrs now and no where i am selling it. :party:

Edited by roastroys

heyy. this is just an advise from me. but you gotta decide what you're gonna use your speakers for. what sounds good for movies, may not be good for music and vice versa.

after you decide what you wanna use your set for, you gotta see how big your room is gonna be. floorstanders may provide the deep bass that you're looking for but will be overpowering if you're using it in a small room. floorstanders also require more juice out of your amp, so, you're gonna need more money too.

while the Klipsch promedia has excellent reviews and is probably one of the best speaker set to get at its price, it might not do as good or as versatile as a dedicated amp + loudspeaker combo.

since your room is rather small and you're a bass junkie. here's my recommendation.

get an integrated amp with a power of 30watts. you can get more powerful amps but 30 is enough. try looking up at echoloft for cheap but good amps, brands like the nad, pioneer, marantz, denon etc. it shouldnt cost you more than $200.

next is the loudspeaker. personally for a small room, i dont think you need a subwoofer. neither do you need floorstanding speakers. a bookshelf speaker (stands optional) with a bass driver of 8inches should suffice. again, you can look up echoloft for these 2nd hand speakers. "budget" brands include mission, wherfedale and jbl. can get below $200. if you're willing to splurge, then maybe invest in better speakers like kef, quad, tannoy etc.

a dvd player may not give out a cds full potential. so you might want to get a proper cd player too. and as always, look up echoloft for people selling cheap cdp. brands like NAD, marantz etc should suffice.

once you have a basic set, you can slowly upgrade your system for better performance. like a pre + power amp. a dac. etc.

hope this helps!

heyy. this is just an advise from me. but you gotta decide what you're gonna use your speakers for. what sounds good for movies, may not be good for music and vice versa.

after you decide what you wanna use your set for, you gotta see how big your room is gonna be. floorstanders may provide the deep bass that you're looking for but will be overpowering if you're using it in a small room. floorstanders also require more juice out of your amp, so, you're gonna need more money too.

while the Klipsch promedia has excellent reviews and is probably one of the best speaker set to get at its price, it might not do as good or as versatile as a dedicated amp + loudspeaker combo.

since your room is rather small and you're a bass junkie. here's my recommendation.

get an integrated amp with a power of 30watts. you can get more powerful amps but 30 is enough. try looking up at echoloft for cheap but good amps, brands like the nad, pioneer, marantz, denon etc. it shouldnt cost you more than $200.

next is the loudspeaker. personally for a small room, i dont think you need a subwoofer. neither do you need floorstanding speakers. a bookshelf speaker (stands optional) with a bass driver of 8inches should suffice. again, you can look up echoloft for these 2nd hand speakers. "budget" brands include mission, wherfedale and jbl. can get below $200. if you're willing to splurge, then maybe invest in better speakers like kef, quad, tannoy etc.

a dvd player may not give out a cds full potential. so you might want to get a proper cd player too. and as always, look up echoloft for people selling cheap cdp. brands like NAD, marantz etc should suffice.

once you have a basic set, you can slowly upgrade your system for better performance. like a pre + power amp. a dac. etc.

hope this helps!

no need hifi setup, it's for "Music, Movies and Games purposes" and playing "R&B, Drum & Bass and Trance" as stated above.

promedia is more than enough to suit the purpose.

Edited by sghound