Sign in to follow this  
Defklan14

Need Help in Buying Speakers

I'm looking to buy a pair of speakers and a dedicated CD player for music purposes. The dimension of my room is around 8 by 5 meters, pretty small.

Currently, I am considering B&W 685 and Marantz 6002CD. I've observed that the ESI Near04s are highly respected by many people in this forum, so that could be an option, along with Travagan's 3 inch.

I'd appreciate any additional recommendations by the highly knowledgable folks here. As an added info, I'd be using them to listen to music in my room, and my CDs run the full range from pop to bossa nova. Current budget is about $1,500, give or take a few hundreds. I don't mind adding an amp/subwoofer as long as it doesn't exceed my budget. I am a new to this hobby, so pardon my lack of knowledge.

Thank you.

hi, i'm a newbie at hifi too. i'm currently running a budget setup of a sony vcd player -> littledot mk2 -> nad 302 -> mission m71. currently very satisfied with it. my room dimensions are very similar to yours.

imo, its hard to have a setup thats perfect for all genres. but generally, for a small room, i would recommend a good pair of bookshelf speakers. if you dont mind getting 2nd hand gear, try looking for the nad320bee integrated amp. if you want to save up on cash, the pioneer a400 is a good buy.

theres a guy at www.echoloft.com selling an epos m5 bookshelf speakers with stands for $600. do check out its review at www.stereophile.com there's also another selling a psb stratus bookshelf. you might want to consider them.

that said, you need to be extra careful when dealing with 2nd hand items. do your research before you commit, but ultimately, let your ears decide which sounds best for you.

for added pro advice, you can check out these recommendations from our local webbies. they also sell quality audio equipment.

http://www.listeninn.com/Website/7th%20GUIDE%201.htm

http://www.zenn.com.sg

hope this helps!

If getting speakers and you don't mind the sound balance of monitors, then get active studio monitors. Then you won't need to buy an amplifier. Plus monitors are better for small rooms.

Try Hung Brothers, they have a wide range of monitors. Or go to Jaben for their nEar monitors which is lower budget but good value for money. I don't know if Stereo Electronics carry monitors.