Sign in to follow this  
Master Rayden

Advice and Recommendations for MP3 players

Hi guys!

I currently own a Creative Zen Vplus 2gb and Koss portapro headphones. I am thinking of upgrading them as the sounds from the Vplus seems lacking.

I like to listen to classical, orchestras, moive OSTs, jazz, blues and pop. I am looking for players with powerful bass but also clear clarity. And also do justice for my portapro.

I am seeking advice and recommendations from the members here who have testes many players. I have friends recommend me Sony Walkman NWZ-A720/820 series and also friends who recommend me Cowon D2. How do the players fair against each other and can they drive koss portapro?

On a side note, headphones wise, whatz a gd upgrade for the koss portapro? are the AKG K81DJ and the Grado iGrado good choices?

I appreciate all the feedback I can get here. Thanks again.

p.s. I totally hate Apple products so no Ipod recommendations pls.

are you looking for flash-based or hdd-based DAP?

for flash-based, w/o using amp, i will recommend the cowon D2 or the creative zen x-fi (this is not bad sounding imo, pretty clean without the DSP on)

for hdd-based, w/o using amp, i will recommend the microsoft zune. This is so far my favourite DAP without using an amp. The headphone out is so clean and neutral.

I prefer the Zune over the D2 anytime. The D2 sounded pretty cold.

Guest Hottopic

I am seeking advice and recommendations from the members here who have testes many players. I have friends recommend me Sony Walkman NWZ-A720/820 series and also friends who recommend me Cowon D2. How do the players fair against each other and can they drive koss portapro?

iriver just come out a new player which have very nice sound quality outcome. I believe the new iriver spinn better than clix2, I will recommended it.

iriver just come out a new player which have very nice sound quality outcome. I believe the new iriver spinn better than clix2, I will recommended it.

Hey you all! Thanks for your fabulous replies. I'm looking for flash-based but I have yet to try HDD-based. How much is the iriver spinn? My current budget is SGD$250 max for a good player w/o amps.

My friend also recommend the cowon iaudio 7. Any proud owners to share their reviews? And where to get gd prices for this?

I am also thinking of upgrading my koss porta pro to maybe grado sr60, ATH-es7 or the AKG K81DJ.

Haiz....the price of appreciating music! :cans::grin:

Edited by Master Rayden

I prefer closed cans as I am listening on MRT and bus during daily commute. Don't wanan disturb the others with my awesome music! :D

However, seeing quite a number of posters here talk abt the grado sr60 and wif friends talking abt it also, I have to check it out. May consider for indoor though....how is the sound leakage like for the grado?

Am looking at ath-es7 headphones and also cowon iaudio 7 mp3 player.

p.s. previous post edited.

Haven't listened to a whole lot of MP3 players. Pretty much only listened to the ones I have bought, although these have also been at the recommendation of others. Shortly after I fried my iRiver H320 I did some searching around and landed up with a Sony S618F, which is an older flash-based model with only 8GB of memory and not expandable. But considering I thought the H320 sounded really good, I think the Sony fares just as well and seems to be more bassy.

It drives my full-sized headphones ok even without an amp but the impedence is only 30 ohms. With an xtra x-1 amp the whole setup sounds pretty good and it didn't cost me hundreds upon hundreds of dollars either.

Guest Hottopic

Haven't listened to a whole lot of MP3 players. Pretty much only listened to the ones I have bought, although these have also been at the recommendation of others. Shortly after I fried my iRiver H320 I did some searching around and landed up with a Sony S618F, which is an older flash-based model with only 8GB of memory and not expandable. But considering I thought the H320 sounded really good, I think the Sony fares just as well and seems to be more bassy.

It drives my full-sized headphones ok even without an amp but the impedence is only 30 ohms. With an xtra x-1 amp the whole setup sounds pretty good and it didn't cost me hundreds upon hundreds of dollars either.

i'm thinking, the iriver clix2 and spinn are actually can match the sound quality of H320. As you said, sony music player/headphones all seem to be more bassy. I don't like this sound character.

Hey you all! Thanks for your fabulous replies. I'm looking for flash-based but I have yet to try HDD-based. How much is the iriver spinn? My current budget is SGD$250 max for a good player w/o amps.

My friend also recommend the cowon iaudio 7. Any proud owners to share their reviews? And where to get gd prices for this?

I am also thinking of upgrading my koss porta pro to maybe grado sr60, ATH-es7 or the AKG K81DJ.

Haiz....the price of appreciating music! :cans::grin:

I just got myself the Iaudio7. I also owned the H340.

If you will to ask me about SQ between Iaudio7 & H340. I think I will choose the Iaudio7. I just feel that it had more of H340. What I mean you can hear more thing.

The battery life is excellent for my 16GB Iaudio7 ( at least 50 hours ). I don't seem to see the bar less one ?

But anyway, my Iaudio7 player that I got from Amazon had some minor defect which is quite o.k & will not affect the SQ. Maybe service when it's really failed me.

U can get this player at SLS but they only carried the 8GB one & the price is ~$280 as what I asked which is $40 more expensive than the one I am having now.

U won't regret in term of SQ.

As for headphone, I don't owned any of what you mentioned. Maybe can go down to Stereo to try yourself.