alvin1118

Re-Cable Guide Thread

let's start from me...

Re-cable Yuin PK2

This was a project i always wanted to do, but i couldn't find any supporting information in the internet (i.e. couldn't find any guide). I thought of starting this thread such that people could take this guide as a reference when re-cabling their precious headphone/earphone :)

why re-cable? dilemma, nothing much to say about it. LOL

Step:

1. Prepare the desired cable. The cable used here is MOGAMI 2893 MiniQuad w/ outer jacket stripped to reduce weight; terminated with Neutrik Tiny Plug.

IPB Image

IPB Image

2. Find ways to open/dismantle the driver housing. I were using pen knife to slice open the housing.

IPB Image

Ok, i know, it's very urgly. like dog bite. LOL

IPB Image

3. Replace stock cable with the cable prepared earlier on. Apply good soldering skill! do not overheat the driver, the ultra thin magnet wire could just break off!

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

4. Glue the housing back to the body. Note that do not apply too much glue, extra glue might spill in the driver and damage the driver!

IPB Image

5. Done

IPB Image

Edited by alvin1118

I know. Are they to prevent the wires from untwisting themselves?

How did you manage to twist them so uniformly?

Edited by Morgan Wu

the cable is stiffer, about 2x westone cable stiffness.

yup, those are heat shrink, kia shu, scare the cable will be untwisted after wear and tear. LOL

most quad cable (mogami,belden,canare) are factory twisted in such a way :D

no extra effort done on twisting them :)

Good job. Nice pics. Would like to add one warning though. Before desoldering the old cable, check which is hot and which is ground, for each side. Then solder the correct cable to the correct terminal.

A bit of a problem if forget to check and then suddenly realise it when about to solder new cables. I know because it happened to me. Or maybe it happens only to forgetful old man.... :D

Good job. Nice pics. Would like to add one warning though. Before desoldering the old cable, check which is hot and which is ground, for each side. Then solder the correct cable to the correct terminal.

A bit of a problem if forget to check and then suddenly realise it when about to solder new cables. I know because it happened to me. Or maybe it happens only to forgetful old man.... :D

You are not alone.... :D

Haha, quite a lot of forgetful old man here eh? Alvin, you mind putting a close up of your Y junction? Would like to see how you treated it. Was it 3 pieces of heat shrink? Adhesive?