Sign in to follow this  
holybananas

What headphones to buy in Japan?

Hi guys,

I am going to visit Japan soon and it occurred to me that I should really buy some kind of special gadget there that I cannot find here. I'm thinking I'll try looking for some new cans.

Currently, I am using the HFI-780 through the Cowon D2 unamped in the office and am looking to get a full headphone for listening at home. Maybe a SA5000 or an AD2000 or ??

So I'm going to poll the knowledgeable audience... Is there a open-can headphone in Japan that you lust after, or would recommend for me?

Cheerios,

HB

Hi HB,

Actually all cans you listed can be bought here already. Most of are available from Stereo and Jaben. Some might need to be sourced thru web sites like audio cubes, bluetin or even ebay. Even the not for distribution headphones such as the CD900st can already be bought from the web or from 2nd hand sales. lol! :think:

The only difference I can think of for headphones is the price specially for Sony, JVC/Victor and AT which hail from japan. They should be cheaper in the sense you will be buying there. You just need to know where in Japan to buy. :rolleyes:

Some stuff I find hard to find here are amps like the AT-HA5000 or the Navigator HPA-900. I believe if you buy a Yamamoto there it would be relatively cheaper. =)

Thanks for the recommendations, jojo! I have already sourced the location to get the Yammy but the need to keep changing the tubes (hidden cost) is holding me back. Iirc, you have a Yammy and W1000 combo, how is the synergy?

I always felt that the woodie cans require alot of amplification to bring out their potential which is why I prefer the ATH-AD2000 :)

Thanks for the recommendations, jojo! I have already sourced the location to get the Yammy but the need to keep changing the tubes (hidden cost) is holding me back. Iirc, you have a Yammy and W1000 combo, how is the synergy?

I always felt that the woodie cans require alot of amplification to bring out their potential which is why I prefer the ATH-AD2000 :)

Yamamoto HA-02 no need tubes rolling!! :grin: the stock tubes are good enough imo :thumbup:

i doubt i can find the legendary L3000 or the R10 when I am there. I believe most people with limited edition cans are quite protective of the chattels.

@HB

I almost forgot of the L3000. If you can buy a cheap one there Buy one. It's one of the hardest to get. SO you can focus on the great headphones that are currently hard to source. Stick to AT, Sony and you could find a winner.

Regarding the Yamamoto. The stock tubes for the yamamoto are said to pass the 10,000 hour mark as they are carefully picked before sending of. Workmanship detail wise the Yamamoto is one to buy not only for SQ but for aesthetics too. loL! I just bought 18 tubes for the yamamoto for 100sgd. not really that expensive. A matched pair should cost 60sgd. :grin:

Thanks to nofing I now own the Yamamoto and the W1000. I can tell you now it is an awesome combination. It doesn't beat any top headphones on a specific category like sparkling highs or very deep lows. But it's very musical and detailed at a certain point that you don't get tired of listening. :thumbup:

Hope you can hunt down for the rare ones like the L3000. It would be nice to try if you welcome us to audition. loL! :blush:

BTW, A friend of mine was able to audition the HD800 in Japan. You might also get a chance. We never know if they sell it there 1st. You may take home that coveted Can. :drool:

Hi guys,

I am going to visit Japan soon and it occurred to me that I should really buy some kind of special gadget there that I cannot find here. I'm thinking I'll try looking for some new cans.

Currently, I am using the HFI-780 through the Cowon D2 unamped in the office and am looking to get a full headphone for listening at home. Maybe a SA5000 or an AD2000 or ??

So I'm going to poll the knowledgeable audience... Is there a open-can headphone in Japan that you lust after, or would recommend for me?

Cheerios,

HB

I recommend getting STAX there. Esp try Yahoo!Japan if you can manage the payment and address part. They go for pretty good prices there sometimes.

That's if you're going to do electrostatics :thumbup:

I think you cannot bring a HA5000 here from Japan due to different voltages?

Some good stuff to get there include the Victor HP-DX1000, Audio Technica W5000 and the big Denons like the D2000, D5000 and D7000. They're all closed but the Victor is supposed to be a soundstaging champ.

The yen is pretty expensive right now, so actually if you're patient you might save more if you buy when the yen is cheaper, even when bought here.

Bluetin also ships the Japan HA5000 in. You would be recommended to get a good power distributor which allows you to step down the voltage.

DX1000, MDR-SA1000, MDR-SA5000, MDR-CD900ST. I believe all these headphones can't be found locally.

And I was told from a friend that Stax'en are cheaper over in Japan. :)

My friend in audio is going to Japan next week. I've asked him to check out for me the Victor HP-DX1000 and Audio Technica L3000. These two cans are not available here. Hopefully he can find it at a good price. :drool:

Edited by ical

@ holybananas

If you're going Tokyo, drop by Akhihabara where all the audio and IT happening is. Takes the JR Line to Akhihabara Station. There's a superstore called Ishimaru which sells a lot of hifi stuff including headphone. And there's also plenty of small shops around which I find more interesting. Over there, you can easily find Stax and those rare stuffs but at a price which is quite reasonable. I can't really remember the exact locations, it was my client who drove me there. Just explore around. I can assure you that you'll shop till you drop. So many nice things to see :grin:

And if your pocket is deep enough, drop by Ochanomizu. Take the Sobu Line and stop after Akhihabara, at Ochanomizu Station. There's a big store called Audio Union near to the station which carry a lot of high end stuffs. Plenty of sex shops as well. :grin:

All these locations will keep you busy for days. Remember to bring along your credit card, travel cheques and plenty of cash just in case. Have a nice shopping trip!!

Edited by ical