Sign in to follow this  
Stereo_Electronics

Sony PFR-V1

IPB Image

Curious how this will sound? You will get to hear this during the meet this coming Sunday. B)

------------------------------------------------------------

Features

Sony redefines the world of sound with its PFR-V1 Personal Field Speaker that mimics audiophile grade front-facing speakers.

First in the industry (and the world) to separate bass from mid and treble frequencies so that users can hear even better sound. Bass sounds are reproduced through a new "extended bass reflex duct" which extends directly into the ear canals. Mid and treble frequencies are projected through the two unique looking spheres towards the ears just like a pair of two perfectly positioned speakers. Result? An extended frequency playback of 35Hz to 25KHz, with better frequency separation.

The new, and one-of-a-kind "Personal Field Speaker" PFR-V1 comes with ultra large drivers of 21mm (newly developed by Sony) for superb sound reproduction. A new flagship headphone, or should we say, speaker-on-your-head on the market.

Specifications

Impedance: 16 ohms at 1 kHz

Mass: Approximately 7g (the cord/code excluding

Frequency Range: 35-25,000Hz

Sensitivity: 93dB/mW

Max input: 60mW

Cord/code: 1m

Plug: Gold plated stereo mini- plug

Weight: 93g

Edited by Stereo_Electronics

Owned it for a while. Very different presentation. Sound like hifi. But sold it off cos too noise for people around me. Good for those into vocal. Those looking for bass can stay away.

Edited by ical

Guest dragonboy

Owned it for a while. Very different presentation. Sound like hifi. But sold it off cos too noise for people around me. Good for those into vocal. Those looking for bass can stay away.

did I hear good for vocals? :cans: Anyway, it looks like a peculiar piece of headphones... finally a headphone that can start to make heads turn. Wonder how would people start to react when u use this on the train? :think:

Edited by dragonboy

Guest dragonboy

Tried it at T3 but its annoying to all those around you. But its very comfortable.

If the looks can make heads turn and the sound can annoy those around you then I'm sure anyone looking for an attraction on the move will like this. :dance:

Edited by dragonboy

just curious, typically i see some manufacturers spec their freq response in excess of the theoretical limits, while i see some other quote the rolloff at 18kHz or thereabouts. are some designing their stuffs for dogs/cats while others adopt a more practical approach?

Edited by audison

Alien Looking Design - makes u looks like a ....head when u wearing it + Flimsy Construction - pls be careful

+ Lack of slam in bass + create noise to surrounding + 400/ 400 odd price tag = hard to justify

Tried it must say wasn't impressed, IMO at 400 bucks i find it might be better to stick with standard dynamic headphones like esw9, etc..perhaps sae the onli 1 ting that was more outstanding to me at 400 bucks is the soundstage due to design..

Just my thoughts..no offense to supporters of the headphones thor hahhzh

just curious, typically i see some manufacturers spec their freq response in excess of the theoretical limits, while i see some other quote the rolloff at 18kHz or thereabouts. are some designing their stuffs for dogs/cats while others adopt a more practical approach?

I believe most high end audiophile headphones/speakers or components go beyond human hearing range...take for example some sacd players which gives the response of 2 - 50Khz some at 2 - 20Khz..wonder if u can hear the difference in higher freq exceeding 20Khz..mayb ur dog can enjoy it LOL..for lower freq with a subwoofer or a good floorstanding speakers..we can usually feel the diff...the punch of the bass (the earthshaking effect LOL) on you..

Edited by Kdidobeboi

I tink u guys need to understand why there exist specifications which exceed our human hearing capabilities.

If you look at the frequency response curves of audio equipment, you should see where the curve starts falling steeply (be it low end or high end). A lot of the specs are based on a 1dB or 2dB roll-off. Hence if you see 20-20kHz specs, the 20kHz point may be at -2dB already. However, if you see a 30 or 40kHz rating, it should mean that at the still-audible 20kHz, there shouldnt be any significant roll off.

As an analogy, you can look at cars. For daily use, the driver is prob using 50-100bhp. So why need a 500bhp car?? It means that, at 120kph, the CherryQQ will be struggling to accelerate further, while the GTR is not even breaking a sweat yet.

Hope this helps!

I believe most high end audiophile headphones/speakers or components go beyond human hearing range...take for example some sacd players which gives the response of 2 - 50Khz some at 2 - 20Khz..wonder if u can hear the difference in higher freq exceeding 20Khz..mayb ur dog can enjoy it LOL..for lower freq with a subwoofer or a good floorstanding speakers..we can usually feel the diff...the punch of the bass (the earthshaking effect LOL) on you..

Aron, will Sony PFR-V1 be up for sales? I have been waiting for a year or so since I last hear it during a show and my holiday in Msia. Look like I may need to let off some stuff to fund new goodie...

I actually loved it based on initial impressions. :sweat: Not based on its quantity but its accuracy.

The price quoted by Stereo is damn good. Much cheaper than the price I bought previously. Worth consider.

Edited by ical