Sign in to follow this  
seamammal

Recommendation for IEM <$400

Hi to all the Gurus, i am looking into upgrading my current IEM(low-end stuff), please recommend some of the plausible candidates out in the market now, budget range is $250 - $400, anything above $400 is too much and will probably be taken off the list....

Points to note:

1)Good value for money

2)Sound signature is quite personal, but don't worry, just throw in the possible candidates and I'll sort it out myself

3)Using with portable Amp

4) Music type = General a.k.a. pop, rock, classical, jazz, BUT no techno, heavy metal, mind disturbing kind :P

Asking so that I can narrow down to the possible few and start doing the research....

Btw what's the best price that one can get for Westone UM2? Can PM me if it's not appropriate to post the prices here.

Thank you very much.

Guest dragonboy

Can't remember how much stereo is selling but i think it's between $350-$390. And it's a fabulous earphones with good SQ and isolation.

What about Westone 3? I know it is more than $400, but still dun know the actual selling price at SE. if the difference is not too much, would it be worth the extra $ to get this over the UM2?

You should consider auditioning both as they both have a different sound signature, we do have customers purchasing the UM2 after auditioning both, although most of the time they usually end up getting the Westone 3...

Was at SE auditioning shortly after work. Westone 3, UM2, IE8..... in the end, too hungry, went makan, and at the same time digest what I'd listened during the audition. IE8 is out of the race right from the beginning cos not to my taste... so it's just left with UM2 and Westone 3. After dinner, I returned to buy UM2.

Why?

Because the pursuit of a better sound is infinite(there will always be something better), but budget is finite(income got ceiling). It all boils down to what I am comfortable with in term of sound quality and price at the point of making a purchase. I know what I want and UM2 fits the need, it is easy to listen with. Westone 3 should be better, but is not mind blowing kind of good. Being better is not the sole factor in the final decision making process(unless oozing with goodness all over the place compared to the next best option). There's also cost to consider. UM2 can get the job done and still save me some $.

I am not an audiophile nor a collector. But I'm aware of the gap to overcome in order to continue enjoying my music. UM2 serves in bridging that gap. I'm pretty happy with the purchase.... :)

Edited by seamammal

Congrats on the purchase. The most important factor is what is comfortable for you. :)

Thank you ;) . Ya, it was a tough choice between the 2 Westone earphones. Westone 3 was tempting nonetheless, but in the end my resistance was even stronger. Glad the buying part is over. Now is the time to enjoy what I've bought. :cans:

I know a few guys that actually prefer the UM2 than W3. Always let your ears be the judge.

I used to own W3 which I bought during the hype. Not impress at all. Sold it within a few days.

I know a few guys that actually prefer the UM2 than W3. Always let your ears be the judge.

i'm one of them -_-

Flagship model doesn't meant it'll sound best and definitely work. It all depend on personal preference and matching of your rig.

My impression after 2 days of UM2 listening sessions :

1) The vocal part is really good. I used a CD album by Keiko Lee, recorded in 1999 Tokyo Sony. It is a very well recorded CD. Compared to my Grado SR80, the vocal sounded much fuller, and warmer, and the distance is pulled nearer, as if I am next to the singer. I can "feel" her singing. Yes, "Feel" is the word, and I was ecstatic, that for the first time I am "involved" in the rendition. If you were there, you would've observed a smile just cracked across my face.

Headphone performs differently from IEM, it is coming from outside the head instead of inside the head. Even with this taken into consideration, I still think UM2 has better emotional pull on me.

2) I can now better tell the difference in CD recording quality. CDs are not created equal, some are better recorded, some wanting in the sound quality department. With the new earphones, this fact has become even more glaring. Take for example the comparison of the aforementioned Keiko Lee album with a few of Jay Chou's. Zhou Jie Lun just cannot make it. I couldn't fathom, until I remembered that Jay's album were bought at Bugis Street at basement price, those are original however, just parallel imported, and published by PRC recording company under Sony BMG banner. Could that have something to do with the recording quality?

3) Bass compared to UM1 is good. But that is just to be expected. UM1 is a good entry IEM, but with a single driver, it has to compromise heavily on the bass department. UM2 bass on the other hand, has a free hand to exploit the second driver without taking away from the mid. Luckily the bass is not any lower than it is, otherwise it may encroach on the mid and high.

4 )Design wise, I sure hope the Y-cable is longer than it is, like the W3. I think it is more convenient to let the cable be in front, instead of behind run down along the spine. Microphonic is not a problem with UM1/2, I don't feel it when it is in front, except that the Y-cable is so short that if I were to do that the end of the Y comes up to my chin.... Could Westone come up with a revision series for UM1/2 with longer Y-cable?? So that at least we have an option of where to lay the Y?

The above are just some of the my observations on the newly acquired UM2. At the end of the day, my pronouncement is : a fantastic buy :party:

Setup:

Panasonic SL-CT720 PCDP, C&C box Portable Amp, UM2 IEM.

Grado SR80, CrossRoad Mylar X3, UM1 (given away as gift)

Edited by seamammal