Sign in to follow this  
hellfire112

CDP-New vs Old

I had a very good discussion with uberburger101 on new vs old cdp and was hoping to hear more opinions on this issue.

My concerns for old cdp.

-cd lens will either be nearing the end of lifespan or is unreliable

-unable to get parts for repairs/replacement if anything spoil

-might be unable to read some type of cds

Pros of old cdp

- more musical sounding/natural (based on what i read about marantz cd63/67)

-very cheap if bought second hand (the price performance ratio is bigger)

New cdp

-under warranty

-cd lens sure no prob

-sure can play all the cd in the market

-might be artificial sounding? (not sure about this)

-much more expensive than second hand old cdp.

Just a side note, I called up Alpha Audio and ask them about Marantz 6002 vs NAD C515BEE since they are almost similar in price and i was recommended to get NAD. He told me marantz bright/harsh whereas NAD warmer. He also told me that lens can last about 2yrs plus. Replacement of lens might cost about $200.

I was also wondering that the TS Lim modded CD63/67 has been around for at least 10yrs, surely there is a cdp in that price range(price of cdp+price of mod) that could beat it given current improvement in technology?

Would it be better to go for a old cdp or a second hand new cdp given my low budget of say $300?

Any comments/advice/opinions/suggestions is very much appreciated.

Thanks!

I think whether Marantz is bright or not depends also on what the other equipment are. It's a matter of synergy. If you have a fairly laid back speakers and amp, then the Marantz will sound right. Otherwise it will be bright.

As for old vs new. Being a stingy guy myself, if old CDP + lens change cost is less than new CDP then I would go for the older CDP.

My 2 cents worth. :)

I think it all depends on what old CD player vs what used CD player.

For me, between the TS lim mod 63 and the newer unmodded 6002, I would take the TS lim 63.

The lens will generally depend on the usage hours more than the age of the CD player itself and is usually hard to predict as the owner of the TS lim 63 might not use it regularly but cleans it now and then, therefore still in good shape. (But most TS lim 63 I've seen nowadays has usually change the lens at least once.)

When a CD players is problematic, it might not show immediately and might skip track maybe only certain CDs or only on track 8 on every CD(Happen once to me with a Classe Audio CDP0.5), that would be due to a lens alignment issue.

It would be unfair to say that old CD players sound more musical as it all depends on the design.

x2.

Fact is most old cdp are not as good as present. They usually sound raw and lack detail due to their old dac. Especially if you've a good rig that is transparent, it'll show everything. Marantz cd63/67 sound good only after mod like what T S Lim did which is not cheap.

Any component that has digital parts will degrade with time due to technology like digital camera. Unlike some vintage amp like Quad II, Marantz 7 and 9 that still hold it's high value till now and their price increase with time.

Edited by ical

Hehe, after reading the first 2 lines, my heart sank and my wallet shivered but then there was the third line. Whew.

A bit OT, but would an anti-jitter device like the Genesis Digital Lens improve the sound from an old CDP? what about on new ones?

I really doubt it can be use on other cdp since it's by Genesis.

Yes it can. Supposed to place between Transport & Dac. I guess maybe only good for old cdp since the max output is 20bit.

Some articles & reviews but all quite old liao.

http://stereophile.com/digitalprocessors/824/

http://www.awardaudio.com/Genesis%20Digital%20lens.htm

It no longer in production. At US$1800, it better to get just a new cdp.

Edited by ical

It no longer in production. At US$1800, it better to get just a new cdp.

You can still get it on the resale market for less than $1000