Sign in to follow this  
ezzo

Portable/Small Passive Speakers

Hey,

I am looking for a pair of portable/small speakers that can be powered by a DAP itself.

I have a Mini3 headphone amp which will also be powering the speakers. Active speakers that can be powered by external sources w/o the battery would be even better. My budget is <$50.

I used to have a <$5 one which perform surprising good - no distortions at higher volumes.

Cheapo ones will do for me, but I am willing to fork out more (within my budget) for a good and reasonably priced pair. I will not really be bringing them around, so one around the size of a Al can will be fine, a pair = 2cans.

Anyone know of one to recommend? Thanks!

some reasons why what you're seeking is impossible:

1) speakers need alot more power than a portable headphone amp can give. If you just listen to how loud your headphone can go when you put it some distance away from you that should give you an idea. :shocking:

2) it might be theoratically possible for a headphone amp to drive a speaker, but you'll need very sensitive speakers upwards 95db. Those speakers are expensive (cheap ones tend to be less sensitive), and no one would make them in small packages for portable use, especially since to retain the high efficiency without any performance drop you can't have any crossover which lends itself to a single driver solution which lends itself to a largish i.e. non portable enclosure.

3) you could diy one yourself, but firstly, it would sound terrible in a small portable box, and secondly, I don't see how a stereo out from a headphone amp can be terminated to 4 speaker jacks. I guess you could diy some cable there...

best you just get a small portable speaker which has its own amp, or not go down that route at all. Or you could technically just set your small speaker to max volume and use it as a 'power amp', allowing your mini3 to be a preamp, but I doubt you'll get much out of that.

*looks like I'm wrong there are such things in existence!

Edited by loop_

Thanks for the recommendations! :)

loop_ I took your advise and got a Philips speakers that included a integrated amp.

It can be powered without it too but seems like driving the speakers with a headphone amp is not practical after all, the high load can probably stress the op-amp too much. BOOM, gone. Haha.