Sign in to follow this  
Firefox

Guide to modifying Neutrik Locking Jack

The force used to release the locking component of Neutrik Locking Jacks is somewhat excessive and may cause the chassis of the (pre)amp to bend. However, the jacks do look wickedly good!

I've decided to come up with a simple and reversible solution to this problem.

The problem lies with the spring used for the locking mechanism; It requires too much force to compress.

There are 2 ways to deal with this. Namely, removing the locking mechanism OR replacing it with a spring with less tension. The latter requires additional money (and more importantly, time) to be spent (you'd typically need to buy a cheap ball-pen/ lighter to get the spring).

This guide explains the former process.

First, a look at the jack:

user posted image

and from the side we're interested in:

user posted image

We start by disassembling the jack. Begin by removing the screw at the side:

user posted image

The plastic assembly along with the contacts can then be seperated from the outer shell:

user posted image

The spring is right underneath the push-tab. Remove both from the plastic assembly:

user posted image

You can now see the locking-clip and the sponge/ foam like piece:

user posted image

Both need to be removed. Which leaves only the contacts with the plastic housing:

user posted image

Putting the jack back together is the direct opposite process except that we leave the sponge and locking-clip out.

• Replace the spring and push-tab into the plastic assembly.
  • Replace the plastic assembly in the metal shell.
  • Replace the screw (and the plastic washer!).
  • Use the jack. =)
Completed project:

user posted image

Edited by Firefox

Yup ! That's exactly what I did happy.gif

On the last pic, you see the small plastic tab to lock the jack, I filed it a little bit, so unpluging the jack would be easier, but the locking function is still working.

I personally felt that the locking function of the Neutrik Jack is not fool-proof. It's possible to yank the plug out with sufficient force.

The clamping force of the contacts is such that it provides sufficient to prevent the plug from getting yanked out.

Therefore, I decided to forgo the locking mechanism altogether. It's reversible and doesn't cost anything at all.