Sign in to follow this  
laser

e3c, superfi 3 or um1

Hey guys need your opinions! im a noob in this area and gona get my first pair of IEMS, which of these do u guys recommend? shure e3c, UE superfi 3 or westone um1? heard lotsa good comments abt the um1 abt affordability and good sound.. thanks for your opinions!

The e3c costs more than the superfi 3/um1 (~$150 range). I haven't tried the other two, but I can vouch for the comfort and sound quality of the UM1. With the comply tips that come in the box, you almost forget that they're there after a while. This can't be said about the e3c or UE... although you could of course try fitting the comply tips on to them. Save the difference and use it to buy more tips in future. Or, if you can hear the difference, you can buy a portable amp. And since you're only looking at 3 IEMs, you can always test them out. The UE and UM1 you can test out at Jaben or Stereo Electronics. Not sure about the e3c though.

Be careful not to listen to them for prolonged periods... my ears got quite screwed when I listened for 4 hours on a bus trip. Plus, be careful of hygiene. The comply tips are easily dirtied. Other than that, enjoy your purchase! :))

Edited by david.chew

Be careful not to listen to them for prolonged periods... my ears got quite screwed when I listened for 4 hours on a bus trip. Plus, be careful of hygiene.

What happened to your ears? Infection or something? :shocking:

well... alot is said about how good is um1. but personally i don't like it. mayb after psycho burn in will. So it up to your ears to decide..

Personal choice. I can't emphasize it enough for this case.

What one may like may sound horrible to another. I personally liked the UM1 though.

' date='27 Sep 2006, 07:40 PM' post='80636']

Damn, i must really save what I type next time.

What we choose is of no concern to you, seriously.

Choose what your ears decide, will ya?

It wont help if you chose UM1 due to popularity and wanting to be with the crowd but you didn't like the sound signature at all.

We people staying in Singapore sure is lucky, man!

We get shops like Jaben who carries every IEM that I've managed to tried, and I'm say I'm quite impressed!

Stereo has everything under the sun, even normal earbuds..

Go check them out and test until your ears bleed.

Be satisfied with the sound you like, and dont try to suit yourself to the sound u buy.

Cheers!

:D I think he's just trying to collect some views on the IEMs like generally what kind of sound signature can one expect from certain brands etc. Its like the folks in head-fi who kept saying that grados are for rock. Opinions are important so that a basis for comparison can be achieved.

He of course will ultimately have to trust his ears and make the decision himself. A bit of opinions won't hurt him. Relax..... :))

Cheers!!

Edited by Nu_Omega

din try e3c, but i was torn between sf3 & um1.

tried both and i prefer sf3 due to my personal preference which of cos is subjective for everyone. found sf3 to be more lively with enhanced bass and treble while um1 is more laid back, or natural sounding like what the pros say.

although eventually i got neither cos... :holiday:

Besides those iems, u should try the ck7 or cx300 which are canal phones. they are slightly cheaper...

Gotta depend on the genre on songs u listen to, and the type of sound you want for those songs :P Listen to all of them, take a sunday/saturday off and head to jaben for a road test. Just don't try those earphones that are out of your price range no matter how wilson temps. u to... or u might just end up buying them!

i suggest to buy something a little cheaper first to test water, to make sure that u actually like IEM's or canal phones, who noes... everyone ears are shaped differently and u might not feel comfortable wif them...

Anyway just go test them out and let your ears decide, if u decide u like iems there and then, go ahead and get the one you fancy... bring your own CD's/source for a better reference... and oh, bring your stock buds, u WILL be amazed by the difference... lol

:beer:

Edited by That dude