radioactive28

Finally got to listen to the Bose QC3

Yep, as the title says. I've put this off for months now, 'cos SE doesn't carry them :P

I don't have a detailed review, just something of a brief impression.

For starters, it works with active noise cancellation which cannot be disabled. For this reason, I suspect there's an internal amp in the housing, which already carries a small battery pack to start with.

The QC3 is supra-aural and comes with very soft pleather pads. It's not a cup like Grados or Sennheisers, not even like the PX100/200.

Certainly, it has all that comfort that we often hear about. It feels like something any owner of serious gear would put in a heck of a lot more money for, if it would fit over. The touch was so light, I thought they were going to just slip off.

The noise cancellation did fairly well. The crowd outside the showroom was sufficiently muffled to get the isolation you would with any good IEMs. I didn't have my portable amp along, so I wasn't able to try whether amping would distort the sound. (I have no idea if anyone even does that in the first place, but something tells me results could be very disappointing.)

The first thing about the sound that I noticed was the copious bass. It's bloated around the mid- and high-bass, without sufficient extension. It's not very muddy as I thought it would be though.

Vocals would have sounded warm and acceptable, but the high-bass/low-mid gave the impression of echo. It felt as though the singer was singing into a wall.

The mids and highs were acceptable, nothing too remarkable. Treble extension was wanting (but then, my e4c doesn't do all that well here either), and I suspect any sparkle would shine through if only the bass could be toned down by, say, half?

The headphone came nicely housed in an all-black [classy-looking] zipper case, together with the battery charger and the airplane stereo adaptor. It probably works out well if targeted at the travelling business who can afford it. Otherwise, the only thing I want is its comfort, and what I think is true for most of us here, is that comfort isn't always top priority.

Edited by radioactive28

lol so how much are they?

About 4 pairs of SR80s. Or a set of E500. Or about 15 pairs of KCS75 bought locally. To put it in perspective.

For some twisted reason, I'm really tempted to sink my money into these so I can try tweaking the sound. They present an interesting challenge.

well if u're really into it , but got both good and bad

the good is ppl will :shocking: wow bose QC III (branded)

the bad is its pretty expensive

if really got alot of extra money to burn will buy one and

bring to my sch to show off lol

Edited by Xiao_Catz

Actually the Audio Technica did a good job in their latest noise canceling headphone ATH-ANC7 ( they call it quiet comfort lol) looks and feel almost like the bose but soundwise..... :thumbup: , anyway next time you drop by ( radioactive) you should try it.

Guest rueyloon

I have the Audio Technica ANC7 as well as the Sennheiser PCX150. I feel that the Sennheiser is a better performer. It is also more comfortable for sleeping and wearing on an airplane. Sennheiser has an irritating dongle that is quite heavy, so you have to deal with that.

Edited by rueyloon