Plexcio Acoustics

UM1 + UM56 = ?

Hey guys,

I'm quite new to the 'my ears are extremely fussy' world and also a proud owner of a pair of UM1s coupled with Shure olives. I've always dreaded taking them off when my ears start hurting after bout' two hours of listening.

I was hoping of getting your input on the UM1 with UM56 combination.

I have a few questions.

1. Do the UM56 feel like full fledged customs?

2. How different does the UM1s sound with UM56 attached?

My plan is to actually try the UM56 if they do feel like customs and eventually go on to customs in a year or two's time if I like the feel of it.

Please please please please do post pictures of yourself wearing them if you own a pair. :thumbup:

Thanks in advance for the answers and valuable experiences.

Cheers :prettyprincess:

hello, allow me to answer to your questions.

A um1 + um 56 will not not sound close to a full custom.

The um56 is only like making a custom "olives" that you had been using. And for a custom to work, the engineer will put in the driver of the earphone into your ear impression and then create the custom earphone.

mainly, it just give you a better fitting and better isolation IMO, with a good fitting, you will feel different, in term of the sound projection and etc.

I hope it helps [:

A um1 + um 56 will not not sound close to a full custom.

The um56 is only like making a custom "olives" that you had been using. And for a custom to work, the engineer will put in the driver of the earphone into your ear impression and then create the custom earphone.

I was wondering about the feeling of them in my ears because I was planning to try these first then eventually go on to full fledged customs. And also because the olives have been hurting my ears after about two hours of listening and I would like as much comfort as possible without compromising with SQ.

hurting your ear when you still using foam? hmmmm, sound strange to me. If like that, i think you will not get use to custom ba, they are using acrylic. And you will feel the hurt as well lei.

hurting your ear when you still using foam? hmmmm, sound strange to me. If like that, i think you will not get use to custom ba, they are using acrylic. And you will feel the hurt as well lei.

Mine hurts because after a long time I can feel the pressure she olives are putting on my ear canals and I don't want to use comply tips because the SQ drops quite noticeably even though they're the most comfortable things around.

I would still like to try customs though... I'd rather learn that they aren't good for me now rather than realise it when I get full fledged customs :cry:

chill ok. haha, hmmm, getting a custom do have it advantage and disadvantage la. You will have better fitting and the sound sound much nicer.

haha chilling Exams tomorrow ah abit uptight. :wacko:

Disadvantage? Would you tell me about it?

exam? student? haha, exam tmr, shlouldn't you be in your textbook mugging? haha, joking!

disadvantage? people want to share the earphone with you also cannot lor.

exam? student? haha, exam tmr, shlouldn't you be in your textbook mugging? haha, joking!

disadvantage? people want to share the earphone with you also cannot lor.

Heh heh... Student can multi-task :ppth:

I always bring an extra pair along so thats the least of my worries :thumbup:

I wonder what can I do with those under-utilised Quattros besides selling them when I get an upgrade...

well, they will be handy when time to come. When you send them for custom, as in reshelling, you will need a earphone to entertain you ma. haha

There'll still be the trusty UM1s :grin:

Any idea how much can I sell a mint condition pair for?

Mine hurts because after a long time I can feel the pressure she olives are putting on my ear canals and I don't want to use comply tips because the SQ drops quite noticeably even though they're the most comfortable things around.

I would still like to try customs though... I'd rather learn that they aren't good for me now rather than realise it when I get full fledged customs :cry:

You probably have canals that are quite bent, like mine. The only thing that could stay longer was Comply, but even that had a limit.

If that's the case, you might find that the UM56s will offer you some comfort, but it could also change the sound, since the soundwave will be directed more to your eardrums than your canals.