Sign in to follow this  
neutralzz

Irrational to spend $2k to DIY a headphone tube amp?

hi all.

been away from headfi for a long time.. used to be into headphones and earphones years ago but went back to speakers and all that...

so right now with the upcoming launch of the beyerdynamics Tesla series that got me excited.. i decided to re-look at one of the old shelved plans to build a no-compromise tube headphone amp.

this is only for listening at work.. cuz at home i'm predominantly using speakers.

so right now i'm considering whether its irrational for me to revive the DIY amp project, or instead buy a cheapo headphone amp and use the $$ saved to fund a ZU credenza that i've been eying to match my 2A3 and 300B amps..

in your shoes.. which one would you choose?

For office use, I think you might want to consider this amp:

The Korean made Audiotrak DR.DAC2 DX

http://www.sgheadphones.net/index.php?showtopic=10185

A bunch of us had a quick audition of this amp at Audio Basic and was surprised by its performance even with the HD800. It is compact and very versatile...and the price was suprisingly really reasonable.

@mangosteens

I really have no idea to DIY. My limiting factor is that i really (x10) su*k in soldering. :cry:

If you plan to do a big DIY project, it would be safer to go with a tried and tested platform. Meaning a well reviewed circuit layout and implementation. One thing painful in this hobby is the sum of the parts won't usually give you the best equipment. :blush:

You can try a B22 which for the longest time has been tried and well reviewed. On Tube amps I really haven't read much on a very well reviewed implementation. :think:

Also on a DIY project you can't really cut corners by cutting back on parts. It will always give you a lot of "what if's" and may end up spending more by making a better and bigger one (true with the case of new B22 builders).

One things for sure it would be really hard to stick with a fixed budget if your going all the way. Lol! :sweat:

mangosteens, DIY amp will easily cost about $2k especially if you're looking at no-compromise tube headphone amp. Just look at the cost of those high-end caps and transformer. I'll go for this route if I'm technically knowledgeable, knowing that it custom made to my spec and preference, the one and only. The only problem is it's resale value of DIY stuff.

Edited by ical