Sign in to follow this  
Musicdude

Recommend IEM < 300

Well I intend to get an IEM for both home and portable use. The price should be preferably less than $300(super poor nowadays) and maybe if the IEM is good I can still afford to top up a little bit of cash(SF5 pro and UM2s are a little out of range and I don't feel like getting second hand ). I listen to lots of different genres of music, ranging from classicals, pop, rock etc... Anyway I've tried qjays, er6, SE210, Superfi 5 EB. I love the sound of SE210 and Superfi 5 EB though.

Ahhhh yes, I've tried the Superfi 5 EB and would like to ask if it provides sufficient noise reduction in noisy places since it is -16db instead of the usual -26db. I tested them in a rather peaceful and quiet environment, so I want to know how it fares in a noisier environment.

Ah just want to confirm that the cable length of the SF5 EB is 1.2m and detachable from the driver?

Oh yes before I end of, I would also appreciate if you guys could "warn" me some of the build issues for the IEMs (eg. stiff cables, loose connectors, etc..).

Cheers. :grin:

superfis generally don't isolate as well as westone/shure due to the tip design, but it all depends on your ear canal shape. My ears couldn't take the UE frankenstein style; it was quite large and didn't feel like it was isolating anything at all lol. But that's just me

Hmm, honestly quite tough call, because you can get much better stuff if you buy 2nd hand. SF5 pros typically go for ~ 250 2nd hand. I just saw someone selling 2 se530s for 600, so that's a pretty awesome deal too.

Might wanna seriously rethink your stance on buying 2nd hand. If you're patient enough, there will always be a relatively new set going for cheap AND with warranty.

"Ah just want to confirm that the cable length of the SF5 EB is 1.2m and detachable from the driver?"

yes it's 1.2m and its detachable and can be replaced. usually with an westone es2 caable.

if i were you, i would just try the ue superfi 5pro and consider getting that 2nd hand and change the cables to the es2 cables.

if not... top up slightly abit more for a brand new sf5pro then :)

Hmm will consider topping up, but that will take more time for me to save up, I am still quite far away from the 300 mark. Havent tried the SF5 pros and UM2s before, how's the build quality for both? Just curious, whats the difference in terms of looks between SF5 pro and SF3, they look way too similar to me. =X

Guest dragonboy

5pro is dual driver, and 3 studio is single hence the price price diff. I quite like the SQ for 5 pro but unfortunately, doesn't fit my ears well.

5pro is dual driver, and 3 studio is single hence the price price diff. I quite like the SQ for 5 pro but unfortunately, doesn't fit my ears well.

Yea I know that it's a dual armature but any specific difference in terms of looks? :)

sf3 totally different league from sf5 pro man. They look pretty much the same as far as i can remember.

Haha yea, just curious to know how different it looks. Anyway I will try the UM2s and SF5 pros out some day. By the way any suggestion on Shures? :)

Shure? Hmmm, maybe can consider the SE-210. Isolate quite well. Been using the SE 310 when I am on the train to work. The isolation do a pretty good job till cannot hear the engine, but rather soft on announcement.

But to me I think the 210 sound bland, that's why i go for the SE 310.

Shure? Hmmm, maybe can consider the SE-210. Isolate quite well. Been using the SE 310 when I am on the train to work. The isolation do a pretty good job till cannot hear the engine, but rather soft on announcement.

But to me I think the 210 sound bland, that's why i go for the SE 310.

310 is the one that can change the bass port or something like that? Hmm another IEM to try out. :grin:

Haha yea, just curious to know how different it looks. Anyway I will try the UM2s and SF5 pros out some day. By the way any suggestion on Shures? :)

Hmm, i haven't heard the se210 and below, but had the se310 and it wasn't that good, especially for the price.

IMO, the only Shure models worth getting are the 420 and 530, because the lower-end models don't sound as good as the westone/UE price equivalents

Nah, 310 can't change bass port. I think you're talking about that marketing gimmick Shure uses in their website - some tuned bass port or something. I can tell you that the 310 has rather thin bass, if you're comparing with sf5pros/um2, and is clearly inferior to those 2 also (not just bass-wise)

Hmm, i haven't heard the se210 and below, but had the se310 and it wasn't that good, especially for the price.

IMO, the only Shure models worth getting are the 420 and 530, because the lower-end models don't sound as good as the westone/UE price equivalents

Nah, 310 can't change bass port. I think you're talking about that marketing gimmick Shure uses in their website - some tuned bass port or something. I can tell you that the 310 has rather thin bass, if you're comparing with sf5pros/um2, and is clearly inferior to those 2 also (not just bass-wise)

I see. I guess I'll check out the UM2s and SF5 pros first. Somehow I feel that the SF5 EB sounds nice for most of the songs in my player but definitely not for classicals. Listening classicals with a thumpy bass feels weird for me. :)