Sign in to follow this  
RickEC

Static Electricity - the unnecessary evil

Just to share...

I was recommended to use anti-static wipes. They are basically like wet tissue that you can use to swipe your cables, and reportedly CDs. As I am using DV337 with independant volume control for each channel, I treated one of the two interconnects to do some kind of A/B comparison. The result was that I realised that I have been listening to highly muddy sound (to be blunt, sh**). After treatment, the sound basically clears up to give definitions. Untreated interconnect sounds so different that I think nullified most of my investments. Thanks to Francis who intro'ed me to static killing. Since then, I treat my interconnects once in a while, until I picked up an ionoclast.

Again, I did an A/B comparison b/w the anti-static wipe and ionoclast based on my DV337. Both methods clear up the sound. The latter clearly performs better than the former in terms of getting rid of static electricity. Audibly, the cleaning effect is more significant with the ion emmision method of the ionoclast, relative to the cheap wipes I got for like $10. But for $10, it is the best bang for buck I have had to date. The ionoclast works on CD too; I can't put a finger to the exact effect on CD, but it sort of lower the noise floor a little. From the tests, I understood the evil of static. It kills the dynamics, separation and clarity by putting a veil over your music.

These are my personal experiences, YMMV. I disclaim again, YMMV. One side-effect of ionoclast, I must say, is that you will get bulky forearm muscles from extensive use. That can be upside or downside, depending on how you like that. Pls do remember to switch hands to get a more balanced growth. There are many other gadgets that rid static, e.g. furutech. I have not yet gone to the point of investing that amount of dollars, therefore unable to experience the greater effect that comes with the higher cost (compared to ionoclast), if any.

Edited by RickEC

thanks for kind update and sharing yur tweaks with us :D

however i found a more simple and cost effective way to do so...

heard of the accoustic revival wools? they have the same effect as ionoclast..

just place it under yur powercords,interconnects and rest under yur rig's transformers....such as yur source and amp

more better defined highs and better extension + decays + deeper and more impactful bass overall...

post-5112-1255279991.jpg

post-5112-1255280131.jpg

u can try :grin:

maybe could try a silk woven outer clothing for cable, ask a tailor

silk = Piezoelectric material

same theory as the ground conditioner?

Edited by alamakazam

The Acoustic Revive PSA-100 works like a static absorber. Use sparely or it'll kill dynamic and soundstage. I only use a tiny amount on the powercord to my distributor. Any additional will be too dark to my liking.

SFC SK-EX is another excellent product for LP, CD and cables. It works great other than it's high price. They do have the mini version for CD. I did saw jig_sg bring along during the last meet.

Ionoclast is the most value for money destatic equipment. Price is a steal! It can use to treat almost anything without negative effect. Best part is it can reach those hard to reach places like cables behind the component without the need to remove them. Cons is it need a little effort to operate. I feel that it works as well as SFC SK-EX thought CD treated with both is better than one. Highly recommended.

Edited by ical

maybe could try a silk woven outer clothing for cable, ask a tailor

silk = Piezoelectric material

same theory as the ground conditioner?

You guys can forget about hearing any improvement with those wool. Many have tried including those pure silk wool from China. They end up getting the PSA-100. Same apply for those trying to replace QR-8 with normal crystal. Acoustic Revive products are like black magic which sad to say it works so well that make us part our hard earned money.

Edited by ical

Dun try = dun know = wont buy = save money! :grin:

Or also can: try more = know more = won't any how buy = save some innocent money :grin:

Ionoclast is the most value for money destatic equipment.

Price point of ionoclast quite good. I noticed that Mapleshade products like Silclear have "out-of-the-box" principles; have you seen interconnects made of plastic bags? hah hah..... :grin: The look is damn hilarious, but I suspect that the performance is nothing funny but seriously notable.

Back to topic on static murdering using cotton (is it expensive?), spray (I've heard Nordost is interesting) or whatever.... any sharing will be good.

A box of Acoustic Revive PSA-100 is about $80. For headphone rig only, one box can be share among 3 to 4 person.

Might as well listen to radio which is free. I've one for sale if you're interested. :whistle:

Edited by ical

Might as well listen to radio which is free. I've one for sale if you're interested. :whistle:

Hmmm... you may be right there.

Or also can: try more = know more = won't any how buy = save some innocent money :grin:

Price point of ionoclast quite good. I noticed that Mapleshade products like Silclear have "out-of-the-box" principles; have you seen interconnects made of plastic bags? hah hah..... :grin: The look is damn hilarious, but I suspect that the performance is nothing funny but seriously notable.

Back to topic on static murdering using cotton (is it expensive?), spray (I've heard Nordost is interesting) or whatever.... any sharing will be good.

I can now vouch for the Digital Cable. it really looked like a clear plastic bag with a hair of a wire. But the sound can go up againts a fully shielded cable. =)

it's depend on yur budget and if u dont prefer moving yur equipment around or lazy to zap yur cables...

then the silk wool is for u.....

like the great master had spoken... :grin: dun overuse the wools or it will kill yur dynamic range and narrows yur soundstage....

if u have the ground conditioner, cover the conditioner with wools and listen for the extreme darkness and quietness on yur rig...... :cans: 2x effect of gc-24.....or if u r hand itchy try with rr-77 with oyaide insulator and quartz crystal..... :whistle:

if u have the ground conditioner, cover the conditioner with wools and listen for the extreme darkness and quietness on yur rig...... :cans: 2x effect of gc-24.....or if u r hand itchy try with rr-77 with oyaide insulator and quartz crystal..... :whistle:

arr...i think O.T liao..... :P

ionoclast indeed bang on buck but tiring leh.... :sweat:

other destat devices for your wallet reference :grin:

Gryphon Exorcist

IPB Image

SFC CD Electrostatic Excluder

IPB ImageIPB Image

SFC SK-EX Electrostatic Excluder

IPB ImageIPB Image

Furutech SFC SK-II

IPB ImageIPB Image

Furutech Destat

IPB Image

Owned the Gryphon Exorcist, the improvement is so subtle that I end up selling. Tried my friend's Furutech Destat, not impressed. Yet to try the Furutech SFC SK-II but heard good things about it for those into LP.