Sign in to follow this  
Berabouman

Headphones for blocking out construction noise

Hello everyone. ^_^ First of all, let me start of by saying that I am not a headphone enthusiastic of any kind (though I appreciate good music and audio quality like anyone else!)

My problem stems from the very loud construction work being carried on outside my house (it's the construction of the Farrer Road MRT) I work from home and I occasionally have clients in other countries, so I end up sleeping in the day quite often. Due to the construction noise, I am unable to get a good night's sleep :(

I originally used some store-bought earplugs (the foam rubber kind) but they haven't proved to be very useful - the noise is just too loud and constant. I was told by a friend of mine that high-quality earphones might be the answer to my problems, so I thought I would ask the experts here what they would recommend. :)

My budget is around $100-200 dollars, and of course noise cancelling would be the first priority in the purchase of any earphones. I don't actually plan to listen to any music with them (I want to sleep!) but if they doubled up as good earphones for my computer, that would be a great bonus. I've heard that Sennheiser is good and within my budget range, but since I know next to nothing about earphones I thought of asking here first.

Can anyone help? It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

hi,

if you want really good isolation and awesome SQ then go for etymotics ER4 or ER6... the ER4 is around 200 used (i think someone is selling them online somewhere on jaben) and the ER6 are around that price new i think. use triflange or foam tips, you wont go wrong

What type of foam plugs did you use, and did you stuff them deep? Industrial ones offer up to -25dB, which is pretty good, unless the noise is just across the road, and you're on ground level.

If you need very good isolation/protection, regular IEMs or canalphones may not do the job. Custom earplugs is one way to go, but instead of sinking the money (for just earplugs, not even earphones) outright, you might want to try getting moldable wax earplugs, see if they help.

If not, you can always try what engine-room and aircraft technicians do: good foam/wax plugs, doubled up with full-size closed headphones or earmuffs.

Edited by radioactive28

If not, you can always try what engine-room and aircraft technicians do: good foam/wax plugs, doubled up with full-size closed headphones or earmuffs.

Wow, thats extreme lol.

I believe a simple custom earplug would offer the best isolation already haha.

Some links:

Westone's: http://www.westone.com/content/184.html

Ultimate Ear's: http://www.ultimateears.com/_ultimateears/...m_ear_plugs.php

I bet there are many out there too.

Erm, if you want audio too, aim for custom earphones then.

Edited by :: Chicky ::

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments! I'm going to try my earplugs once again (and put them deep inside this time) with some earphones I borrowed from my Dad as well. If those don't work then I think it would be time to start looking into everything mentioned here :)

May I suggest a more radical solution: move house! :P

Hello everyone. ^_^ First of all, let me start of by saying that I am not a headphone enthusiastic of any kind (though I appreciate good music and audio quality like anyone else!)

My problem stems from the very loud construction work being carried on outside my house (it's the construction of the Farrer Road MRT) I work from home and I occasionally have clients in other countries, so I end up sleeping in the day quite often. Due to the construction noise, I am unable to get a good night's sleep :(

I originally used some store-bought earplugs (the foam rubber kind) but they haven't proved to be very useful - the noise is just too loud and constant. I was told by a friend of mine that high-quality earphones might be the answer to my problems, so I thought I would ask the experts here what they would recommend. :)

My budget is around $100-200 dollars, and of course noise cancelling would be the first priority in the purchase of any earphones. I don't actually plan to listen to any music with them (I want to sleep!) but if they doubled up as good earphones for my computer, that would be a great bonus. I've heard that Sennheiser is good and within my budget range, but since I know next to nothing about earphones I thought of asking here first.

Can anyone help? It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Don't bother trying noise cancelling they only work when you have constant noise

What you need here are custom earplugs

Price wise I think it's around $100

With those, it'll fit your ear perfectly and block out almost all noise. Comfort and silence :))

Don't bother trying noise cancelling they only work when you have constant noise

What you need here are custom earplugs

Price wise I think it's around $100

With those, it'll fit your ear perfectly and block out almost all noise. Comfort and silence :))

and then if you want audio, think of customs like livewires, JHaudio, or just reshell normal universals like sphb did with his um1.