Sign in to follow this  
radioactive28

SHM-CD and ripping

Not sure if everyone is aware of these, but ever since they started producing SHM-CD in Japan last year (or is it the year before?), a lot of old stuff have been re-issued. Old, like some of Sinatra's original albums which began life as vinyl.

I figure it's a good chance to get some oldies without converting to vinyl, even if they're somewhat on the pricey side (S$45/disc), but any idea if these CDs are copy-protected?

I'm firmly with MP3s, so not much point if I can't rip the tracks.

Edited by radioactive28

Yup, copy protection isn't really standard even on the SHM-CD. Ripping is the same as a normal D. The difference is really on the sound QUALIITY. I have one album in SHM and a US Press. The SHM quality is way different. =)

I'm firmly with MP3s, so not much point if I can't rip the tracks.

Might i suggest ripping them in Lossless format such as ALAC or FLAC. the difference is quite audible on good systems. ;)

Thanks for the confirmation, good to know =)

Needed to check because all the latest batches of The Beatles remasters (those in Digipaks) are copy-protected. The non-protected, non-South American ones have mostly disappeared from local markets.

I haven't heard the SHMs before, but are they all newly-remastered? 'cos I'm in the camp that believes bits are bits and good music is good; the medium doesn't really matter.

Anyway, I'm doing separate archiving in FLAC, but putting MP3s on my portable.

I have some SHM CDs from Japan. Generally good SQ.

Have ripped Sting in SHM into AIFF with success.

Cheers,