Sign in to follow this  
Xsys

Help : how to use "headphone"?

Hi,

I'm having a audio setup which consists of Pre and Power Amps, CD player, Turntable and a pair of loudspeakers.

I would like to use headphone to listen to CDs and records at night so as not to wake up others. But problem is: I cannot find any "hole" to insert it!

Any gentleman out there would kindly advise me on what additional equipments do I need? How to connect to my existing setup? How much would it cost to get a basic headphone gears? Or should I say SG$300 enough for the headphones + other equipments? Any brand/model recommendation?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Xsys

opps ... hmm y dont u post some of ur amps pic ... so that they can find for u or ... the amps model so that they have a ideal .... 300 for a good cans maybe but for equipments i dont think so headphone.gifw00t.gif ... hee heee innocent.gif

I would like to use headphone to listen to CDs and records at night so as not to wake up others. But problem is: I cannot find any "hole" to insert it!

I guess the keyword here is "jack" as in headphone jack. laugh.gif

Well, my guess is that if there's no headphone jack, u probably have to go with a small DIY amp, which would be connected to your CD player if your CD player has two outputs. Then hook up your headphones to the headphone amp. biggrin.gif

Yes Lekguan, u're right ... there's more than one way of doing it. That's just a suggestion. He could hook up a headphone amp to the output of the pre-amp. Or perhaps try and hook up the output from the pre-amp direct to the headphones.

hi N3w_Typ3,

no hole lah... (opps... I mean headphone jack) tongue.gif

anyway, here's the links to my setup:

http://www.soundscapehifi.com/croom-joe.htm

I would prefer something simple connection where I dun need to disconnect any cables whenever I want to listen to music using headphone or loudspeakers.

Something like making use of the source selector from my pre-amp.

Currently I own a Sennheiser (model:HD433 cost less than S$50). I use that to connect to my laptop. So far I have no complain on the sound.

DIY amp? May I know where to get (price? market bad leh, cheapest the better)...

Thanks again for the help!

Best way would probably be to use the 'tape out' from the pre-amp to a small solid state headphone amp. Solid state tends to be cheaper and more robust.

You may be able to enlist someone from this forum to build you one. But I will mention no names or I might get in trouble! If that?s what you want just offer up a bit of cash and someone will probably take up the challenge.

Good Luck!

Keep a look out for used head amps on the classifieds. Older models such as Creek OBH-11 was transacted at $150 in the forum if my memory serves me right.

hey xsys, good to see you here. alas, you didn go for the VTL integrated. That one has a headphone jack. The best way for you is to add a headphone amp via the tape loop as mentioned by Tenson.

cheers!

Thanks for the help...

Got it now... will start searching...

By the way, what is "can" or "cans"? unsure.gif

Can anyone explain that term to me? Thanks..

TKY: good to see u too...

nice speakers joe, yeaps they make rock music... well... rock!

I reccomend a used Creek OBH as well as its very cheap but is still a dedicated amp for headphones and will be a budget introduction to cans for serious listening.