Sign in to follow this  
Sanjuro

My short testimonial on the Phillips HP890

Welcome and nice review! Was aiming for the HP890 as my little end of year present tongue.gif Guess the favourable reviews all round means I'm still on the right track.

BTW I'm also thinking of making the CMOY, still studying the plans and instructions thot, have totally no electronic background, but doesn't seem too hard so far smile.gif

sblive!? no!! thats sacrilege!!

come on man..least get an audigy. better still a revo happy.gif

Audigy? No way! Audigy2 maybe.

What's so bad about the SBLive anyway?

Welcome and nice review! Was aiming for the HP890 as my little end of year present tongue.gif Guess the favourable reviews all round means I'm still on the right track.

BTW I'm also thinking of making the CMOY, still studying the plans and instructions thot, have totally no electronic background, but doesn't seem too hard so far smile.gif

Thanks a lot! Yeah you are on the right track for the HP890, and as for the CMOY, it's easy to build, but it's hard to find the container to put it in. What's harder is getting my lazy ass up to go to SLT to find the parts. laugh.gif

sblive is harsh by soundcard standard nowadays.

They were good some 4-5 years ago but now.. audigy is the least that you should opt for smoke.gif

Also, as with closed headphones (I think it's closed, it cups my ears and outside noise is greatly dampened, I take that as closed) it gets uncomfortable after some time.

The term to use for such headphones where the pads go around the ears is "Circumaural". Your HD490's are "Supra-aural" headphones where the pads press directly onto the ear.

Closed cans are those where the back of the headphones are sealed and without holes.

Wish I could review like you biggrin.gif Welcome holiday.gif

Yes, I am now using this good price/performance philips890. I thought it was a open headphone as both caps have small ventilation holes lol.gif

The stock cable is a tad too long though. wacko.gif

Right, so I was mistaken about the open/closed issue...

My bad laugh.gif

I always learn new things here laugh.gif

Anyway thanks a lot for everything!