Sign in to follow this  
kelso

Going for a Headsave PPA-any suggestions?

Hi everybody,

I'm kind of a newbie here.

And I'm thinking of getting a PPA from headsave with NiMh batteries onboard in a Hammond case.

Can anyone give me any suggestions on what I should go for in terms of options or upgrades?

I had asked him about crossfeed but he said that he'd built a few crossfeed circuits but didn't sound too good.

Switchable bass boost is another option but comes at a premium.

I'm hoping to use this amp with a cd3000 which hopefully will arrive shortly.

So any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

ygpm.

Hi. Welcome... welcome.gif

I would suggest getting the basic parts for PPA. No bass boost and no crossfeed. Battery is good if you wanted to make it portable.

I am currently building the PPA and now left the casing to be drilled...

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the warm welcome.

So have you heard the ppa yet, and how is the bass?

I really envy you diy builders, I am electronics illiterate blush.gif

Naz, I have replied your pm.

Thankyouverymuch elvis.gif

I found the not so old thread made by our very own Ablaze concerning his DIY PPA: http://www.sgheadphones.com/index.php?show...pic=1129&hl=ppa

THe PPA don't have coupling caps, so it's has a wide frequency range, plenty of bass without the boost. Unless you're like me who wants to artificially enhanced bass on some music, but it's no hifi.

Since you're considering the PPA with onboard batteries, is Headsave supplying the power supply for charging the batteries? Coz it's mostl ikely going to use unconventional DC voltage which are not available from the shelf, unless you get someone to diy one.

Edited by jtfoo

Welcome to our little forum Kelso...

just wondering how much yer payin for the headsave ppa amp cuz the main webpage isnt updated yet..

Btw, did u get the nick kelso from 'that 70's show' ? Hope u dun think im making fun of ya but i think that show rocks...

It should be for better but shouldn't that have been done in the first place?

jason, how long will it take u to build 1 PPA if i order it from u today? happy.gif

i intend to use it to drive the W1000, not for portable use, so need it to run from AC supply.

how much would it cause if its fully "tricked out" with high quality parts tongue.gif

Alas, according to headsave his supplier is out of stock for parts for the battery portion until mid-Dec.

I didn't know the power supply for the batteries needed a different one from the 24V wallwart. After wading through the ppa posts on headfi, it seems that a 30-48V one is needed?

Jason, what op-amps are you using for the L/R and ground?

Qoo, .... heheh you're the first one to ask, quite simple actually - my previous ISP needed a user-id, my initials are klso but they needed at least 5 letters so since my 1st name is kenneth I thought well I'll just add an e to make it kelso. Then it struck me that it sounded familiar and realised that its the name of the himbo on that 70's show lol. This was like 2-3 years ago and I've been using it for all the forums I visited since.

Alas, according to headsave his supplier is out of stock for parts for the battery portion until mid-Dec.

I didn't know the power supply for the batteries needed a different one from the 24V wallwart. After wading through the ppa posts on headfi, it seems that a 30-48V one is needed?

The voltage depends on the mAh, how many batteries is Headsave is using and also if they're using LDO regulators or the normal ones. Mine only need 27Vdc (15 batts, 800mAh, LDO regulator). Too high at 30V-48V would result in wastage to the regulators in the form of heat..

Edited by jtfoo