Sign in to follow this  
Q00

DIY Tube amp goin for dirt cheap on hwz

Not to discourage you but being a beginner to tubes, I'd strongly advice you against going for something that is not 100% operational & with that number of tubes. It looks fairly old too so unless you have a fair idea of what exactly is wrong with it, how much the repair will cost & are keen to take on a working project then your best bet is to look elsewhere.

Since it is an integrated amp with no headphone out you will need a headphone transformer inorder to use the speaker output terminals for headphones unless you intend to get a pair of AKG K1000, then you can hook it up directly from the speaker terminals.

Which headphones do you use?

There are converters for the purpose of using headphones off of the speaker outputs of power amps. They can be DIYed with minimum ease. They are just a resistor network.

I saw a few circuit diagrams on headwize a while ago.. I can't find them now but I bet someone else here knows where to find one for ya! It's basically the same thing as the RKV impedanzer, but works the other way around.

Hope this helps!

EDIT: Shouldn't this be in the equipment forum?

Edited by Tenson

There are 50% DIYers in this forum (according to stats biggrin.gif )

For staters, $100 is good buy. If you don't want I will buy... rolleyes.gif

As long as you are willing to bear the cost of replacement tubes, we're not talking about like mere resistors & capacitors here.

Hehe... it is a very big investment in time and who knows what else... but the lure of a tube amp.... wub.gif

Jason, if you want it go ahead bro... i just ploughed down my cash for a pair of aego2 speakers. Nuthing left till next month. I figured id post here and see which of u nuts would bite hehehehe

Ah ha!! Look what I dug up laugh.gif

The output impedance of the amplifier should basically be the resistance of the two resistors in parallel. Try starting with R2=10 ohms (1/2W) and change the value of R2 up or down to adjust volume, Obviously with this amp you have a volume control so it will not be THAT essential.

post-4-1067690456.gif

Edited by Tenson

Aaah... Aaah...

wish i cud fork out the money for the amp... then just build up the circuit and im good to go!!!

Hi all,

$100 cheap lah... But when come to change tubes die man, 8 pcs of KT88 (i guess) which brand to go for is one, two is how it will sound like. So... Single-Ended design still better lah... huh... biggrin.gif