Sign in to follow this  
kenshinz

Weird Idea of mine

Guys (and Gals),

I've just got a weird idea forming in my head, would it be possible to take the driver from say a pair if KCS50/55 and attach them inside a pair of ear muffs (those used for hearing protection to cut down noise, not cold weather gear tongue.gif).

Was playing with a pair of ear muffs I got, and the sound isolation is superb, can't even hear my mom talking from 3 feet away biggrin.gif , and this idea of converting them to a pair of closed headphones suddenly popped in my head. Any comments?

haha sounds cool. I actually got something else in mind. hearing protection PU ear plugs cost less than S$50 for 200 pairs for NRR32. 5 pairs of ear foams say for E2 cost S$18 which are more porous and made of PVC which is rougher than PU.

Will it be possible to buy such foam, cut it and poke a hole thru' the foam and use it as replacement foams? It will also be more hygienic when others want to try it.

kenshinz: how are you going to put the crossover wire? why not just wear the KSCs with the earmuffs? w00t.gif

I think its abit impossible to wear the KSCs with the earmuffs, the muffs ain't that big to cover them, pus you'll lose the sound isolation too. Anyway I was just using the KSCs as an example, as they are cheap and good.

As for the wires, I was thinking of drilling a small hole on each side and passing the wires thru, but I'll have to cut the wires and reattach them back to the drivers.

I'm trying to use my broken pair of Audio technica TH-350AV drivers to experiment. Will cut the drivers down to size and attach them inside the muffs. Hopefully they wun sound weird happy.gif

It might work, but it will sure change the audio signature a whole lot as they aren't design to work this way. If you want, do it with anything but KSC35s. You know how hard they are to get, don't you?

I think I posted something similar to this somewhere...

Yup here's the link on this forum: http://www.sgheadphones.com/index.php?showtopic=1364 which was modding the KSC50 for normal headband use but specifically what the person did for earmuffs is here: http://www.geocities.com/ilm86c/audio1.html

It ain't that easy. I don't think huangyong has done it also. You'll have to factore in resonance chamber size, vents to reduce base and witout the necessary equipment you'll have better luck shooting duck in the dark with a blowpipe.

I'm not really gonna do it, was just thinking of the feasibility. Like the problems u mentioned, I have thought of them b4 but not really sure how it would the sound would be affected, but I believed that the housing of a pair of headphones are designed around the drivers, so what I was thinking of doing is basically the reverse kicking.gif

I'm sure most of us have thought of doing this 1 time or another, but balked at the thoughts of the problems involved..... nontheless, its interesting food for thoughts smile.gif