jaskin

Audio Equipment Dilemma

Hi Guys,

I'm jaskin from over at the head-fi.org forums. I have a dilemma over my audio equipment. I'll be moving back to Singapore after about 4 years of living over in Canada. The 2nd hand market over here is quite awesome and you can get pretty good deals over here quite frequently. I've moved from a headphone setup to a speaker setup about 2 years back after some friendly persuasion from a close friend. My current setup are as follows:

Amplifier

Pathos Twin Towers Intergrated Amplifier

CD Player]

Cary CD-301 Tube CD Player

Speakers

Soliloquy 5.02 Speakers w/ Matching stands

Cables

Cardas Neutral Referrence Interconnects

Tara Labs RSC Prime 1000 Speaker Cables.

I do not know whether to bring the cd player and the amplifier home to Singapore. They cost around $1500 and $3000 respectively and shipping them about be around $100-300 each. The Pathos alone weighs around 111lbs with the wooden crate it ships in. I will probably bring my cables home cause they're so light anyways. The speakers are probably going to be sold. If I were to bring either component to Singapore I will probably convert their power supply or get a PS Audio Power Supply. So my question is should I keep my system less the speakers and ship it home or should I get a brand new system in Singapore. Also how's the 2nd hand market like in Singapore, would I be able to attain the same 'level' of components at a good price? Any help is deeply appreciated. I'm so lost with everything at home.

Thanks

Jason

I probably should add that if I were to sell my whole system I probably would be interested in getting the following components in Singapore:

Cary SLI-80 Integrated Amplifier

Pathos Twin Towers (Best Amp I've Heard)

Audiomat Arpege

Cary 308 CD Player

Sony 777 SACD Player.

Any idea if this would be easy to find in SG?

Hi Ablaze, I'm not too keen on a headphone setup as my main rig. I want something for the home. Probably will get the Ety 4P and hopefully a Sony D777 as a portable source.

It would seem to me that your system is relatively new, unless they were bought used. If you still enjoy the present system then it would be good to bring them back with you. You also mentioned you like the Pathos Twin Towers so why not just keep them. On the other hand it might be a good opportunity to upgrade by selling the amp & speakers, save yourself the shipping & getting something newer. Personally I would bring them back.

Hi Guys thanks for the input. My Pathos Twin Towers is not in a like new condition. I think it need alittle refinishing. My Cary CD Player is in like new condition. Here's what PS Audio said about their products. I could choose to bring my equipment back now and use the P600 without converting their power supplies but I would have to buy all my equipment in the US voltage, which would limit my future options, unless I want to buy from the States.

BTW, how the 2nd hand market in Singapore?

Hi Jason,

The P600 can have its input voltage changed by a switch on the main circuit board. The output voltage will always be in the same range so you would want a US (120V) unit for your gear.

If you plan on buying a P600 here and moving back to Asia with it be aware that to receive warranty coverage you would need to ship the unit back to the US. We do have distributors in Asia that provide warranty service for units they sell so you may want to look into buying one from the distributor nearest your home in Asia. Check out the “how to buy†section of our web page for a dealer locator tool.

Thanks for your interest in our products.

Best regards,

Jonathan Hart

Customer Service

PS Audio Intl.

I probably should add that if I were to sell my whole system I probably would be interested in getting the following components in Singapore:

Cary SLI-80 Integrated Amplifier

Pathos Twin Towers (Best Amp I've Heard)

Audiomat Arpege

Cary 308 CD Player

Sony 777 SACD Player.

Any idea if this would be easy to find in SG?

Music by Design is the agent for Cary Pdts here in Singapore

Pathos is carried by Bretzx Audio here too

Sony 777 SACD is available here too

cheers

Hi dgps thanks for the info. I couldn't seem to get Music by Design yesterday as no one picked up the phone. Hopefully the prices will be reasonable.

Hi dgps thanks for the info. I couldn't seem to get Music by Design yesterday as no one picked up the phone. Hopefully the prices will be reasonable.

Music by Design number is 63343981 (last called them in Feb/Mar 03).