Sign in to follow this  
Rameish

The Making of Corda HA-1 SEi

Thanks for the links JT. If you had said 47 labs I would have been clued in. You know I'm begining to think that simplicity is the way to go. Take a look at the Grado RA-1. If Grado had supplied it with An alps black beauty or Nobel pot using Carda rodium plated RCAs, and premium resisors like Holco or Vishay Bulk Metal foil with siler wiring I think many people would have marveled at the simplicity and not knock it.

Sonically it sounds quite good IMO.

Update - the burning in is taking its effect and I can already tell that the sound is changing. Earlier today I thought it was for the worse but now it's improving again. Hmm...I think I'll shut up now and wait till complete burn-in takes place. So I'll be silent for about 2 weeks on this topic (in terms of sound).

any chance in hell of finding sum EL2009 to complete the overkill?

It's near impossible to find an EL2009 right now locally & there isn't enough juice to power 2 channels with them or 3 * BUF634T anyway. A transformer change is required to allow them all to be powered.

I'd say that even the 7 watt Talema is being pushed hard to drive the amp at the moment. At least the caps boost do help out some...

JT: I believe that the inverted variant of the Gainclone would sound better than the original. =) But I'd rather have a simpler gainstage + current buffer amplifier if I were to have speakers.

OT: Hey firefox you're out of the cage LOL, what time are you coming over? I'm spinning some vinyl and you should be doing some casework LOL

On Topic: Damn, so 3 buffers per channel are out of the question even with the larger cap values...dang!

Maybe I just leave it as it is and you can build me one from scratch with a dual mono power supply using Avel Lindberg transformers innocent.gif

Talk to ya later if you're coming my way. I'm spinning some vinyl right now.

OT: Will drop by SLT for a few resistors I need to complete the biasing properly for the amp. Case work is supposed to be for Sunday morning. =) Need to reformat my compy anyway.. Getting a little too sluggish for me. Hehe...

Okie. Your black and red box is in good hands till then. I do like the silver wires - also has a Nobel quality to it BTW (I'm evil aren't I?). The cat is peeping out of the bag.

Rameish, Is that the casework for the Power Supply?thumbup1.gif

Don't keep us is suspense lar shifu

And you're spinning some vinyl, man I need the record player to work soon, you make me feel bloody anxious now mate dry.gif

Mat,

Long Live Vinyl! As for the red and black box - it's like an aircraft's black box - everthing's a secret for now - otherwise it won't be a surprise at the meet now would it. Firefox has been working on it for some months now. Starting with schematic drawings, doing reserch on parts and then to find out that RS Comp or Farnell or any of the SLT shops don't have it and then hunting at audiophine diy shops and still no luck so what to do redesign lah!

There are still some issues to resolve. I have the pleasure of listening it improve bit by bit. So it could be a DAC! or A super regulated PS for different voltages, or an Amp, or a CD transport unit. Or it could be a speaker. My only clue to you is this: It has a Nobel quality to it.

If you get it, keep silent and PM me. LOL Enjoy the weekend buddy.

And cut the sifu / guru crap. I'm just a garden variety hi-fi nut.

Edited by Rameish

JT: I believe that the inverted variant of the Gainclone would sound better than the original. =) But I'd rather have a simpler gainstage + current buffer amplifier if I were to have speakers.

I'd never compare the inverted ones. But from what I've read in the fourums, many do prefer the inverted version. Even Thorsten's version is a inverted one.