Sign in to follow this  
Rameish

The Making of Corda HA-1 SEi

yeah.gifkicking.gifw00t.gif well i got to hear a preview fr wub.giflaugh.gifhappy.gif om you soon ... can put that into consideration if it really sounded soo good !! yeah.gif

JT, see above the big blue caps are Nichicon and not rubycon. the Black Gates are of course Rubycon. I don't think for the preregulation caps, esoteric types would make too much of a difference. larger value caps by any of the japanses brands would be good enough. In this case Firefox replaced the 1,100 uf SamWah caps with 4,700 uf Nichicon (both 35 volts). That's more than 400% increase in capacity.If Jan Meier had used a Panasonic FC here I would have left it alone. The 2nd stage Panasonic FC caps I decided to change to get better blacks. The increase in value is only about 1000 uf. But I guess I could have used the same value.

QOO, I don't think I can use the EL2009. Anyways with the Buf 634 there's 250 ma (making it come with in spec of the HA-2). More than enough I think (unless you wanna drive an AKG K-1000 LOL.

Edited by Rameish

Jason,

More extension, more texture to the details overall a more refined sound. Still lacks a little bass extention in the loweresy octave. I would like it to go a bit deeper on things like double bass. Top end is superb. Am thinking of asking firefox to make a 3 buffer per channel daughter card (ala Prehead) LOL. My poor HA-1 - it doesn't know it yet. Further operations are required. Firefocx also thinks that replacing the wima caps to solen would be better but space is tight. I may hev to populate the bottom of the board. It's been fun. Maybe I'll put the whole power section in a different case.

did you change the led to a diff colour to mark the SEi version? biggrin.gif

Jason,

More extension, more texture to the details overall a more refined sound. Still lacks a little bass extention in the loweresy octave. I would like it to go a bit deeper on things like double bass. Top end is superb. Am thinking of asking firefox to make a 3 buffer per channel daughter card (ala Prehead) LOL. My poor HA-1 - it doesn't know it yet. Further operations are required. Firefocx also thinks that replacing the wima caps to solen would be better but space is tight. I may hev to populate the bottom of the board. It's been fun. Maybe I'll put the whole power section in a different case.

Rameish,

A seperate box for the power supply thumbup1.gif

Now you're talking more up my alley, Great work as usual mate. Something to look forward to in the next meet, for sure!

Mat, we'll see how it goes on the seperate PS thing. I'll only do it if there's no space. But somehow firefox always manages to squeeze things into the tightest of spaces. Right now the HA-1 SEI has 18,800 uf of capacitors while the HA-2 has 21,000 uf and the HA-1 (MkII) has 11,000 uf. The original HA-1 MkI had only 8,800 uf. The use of 634 P buffer has increased the maximum output to 250ma/12 volts bringing it to Corda HA-1 (MkII) spec. The HA-2 has 250ma/13 volt max output while the Prehead has 800 Ma/13 volts. So right now it surpasses the MkII but is slightly below the HA-2. I'm hoping the use of better caps (the Black Gates) would compensate for the slightly less uf. I think firefox can put in 3 buffers per channel and still keep it in one box. If all goes well I'll have a Corda HA-1 SEI running at 750 Ma/12 volts with at least 18,800 uf of capacitors (maybe I'll increase this as well).

18800uF for the headamp, that's way overkill ohmy.gif .

My AKSA 55watter power amp driving a pair of 3 way speaker has the same 18800uF for power supply, while yours only driving heaphone. biggrin.gif

When you consider a super maxed out META42 (for home use) has probably about 4,000 uF it's overkill for sure. But when you consider the HA-2 has a wee bit more than 18,800 uF it's not.

And here I was thinking of increasing the value! BTW that's 18,800 uF in total ya? Now I'm idling wondering what more can I do without going too overboard.

Am thinking that maybe I should commision firefox to build an amp from the ground up.

Am thinking that maybe I should commision firefox to build an amp from the ground up.

Why not biggrin.gif With more than 18800uF caps, it'll be more than enough for a better spec gain clone. Some diyers only used 2000uF for them 35 watters.

Sorry, it's not a headamp. I thought at first you wanted to commision firefox to do a full fledge amp.

Just fyi, gain clone started out with diyers attempt to clone the Gain Card, after someone opened up and found that the amp is so simple to built with so few components and using a IC chip amplifier. Along the way, there are many versions and others experimenting on different amp chips. Now majority of the gain clone are not really clone anymore. They are just chip amp.

http://www.euronet.nl/~mgw/diy/amps/uk_geenkloon_1.html

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=40

BTW, they look alot like the big brother of a CMOY...

Edited by jtfoo