Sign in to follow this  
Mackie

My first clip-on - Aiwa HP-EC1

My job requires me to stay abreast of news and views that can make an impact on the financial markets and on this note, I always wear a ear bud listening to world news on the internet. The cheapo Philips gave up the ghost and it was replaced by an Aiwa HP-EC1 owing to its low price. I bought the pair at the other (not Gramaphone) cd shop at Raffles Place mrt mall for a mere S$15.90.

It serves its purpose well and for the fun of it, I brought it home and placed it under tighter scrutiny. I was flabberghasted by its sound quality given the price I'd paid. I remember ear buds at this price range tended to sound like the old Rediffusion box.......boxy, harsh and totally devoid of finer details. The HP-EC1 offers a balanced and smooth sound owing to a slight roll-off in the highs. It's also very open sounding closer to headphones than ear buds. Bass is tight and sufficiently punchy while mids are clear and colouration is negligible on a casual stance but a tad laid back. All in all, I don't expect much from a <S$20 pair of ear budes/clip-ons but the HP-EC1 has certainly awaken my senses how much gears of this category has improved in the past decade.

Btw, HP-EC1 is known as HP-EC101 in regions outside China.

Features

Clip-type headphones for ease of use The HP-EC1 fits the users' ears perfectly thanks to its clip-type design; it hooks neatly over the ears without a headband

Four fashionable color variations The HP-EC1 is available in four pleasing colors. The headphone housing in the black, blue, and pink versions has a beautiful hologram design, while the metal white version's is enhanced by a luxurious pearl coating finish

30mm-diameter neodymium magnet driver unit reproduces high-quality sounds

Specifications

Type: Open-Air, Dynamic

Driver Unit: 30mm diameter

Neodymium Magnet

Cord length: 0.5m (Single) (OFC) (remote friendly)

Plug Gold-plated, Stereo Mini Straight Plug

Impedance: 32 ohms at 1 kHz

Sensitivity: 102 dB/mW

Power handling capacity: 100mW

Frequency Response: 15 - 24,000Hz

Accessories

70cm extension cord (gold coating , L-shape plug) (1)

Colors available: Blue / Red / White / Black

post-2-1070774422.jpg

Edited by Mackie

Alrighty guys, did U have similar experiences to share? Let's talk about the cans/ear buds/clip-ons that had sprung a surprise when U least expected it.

The Aiwa V743.

I have a pair, and at the mini meet i had a short comparison with the MX500. Hm, not very conclusive for we were not able to try in total quiet environment, plus we did not have a chance to hear both earphones with and without the foam pads, what difference it made. But me and kenshinz did both preferred the aiwa V743. It sounded great for a $28 earbud.

Of course, not the forget N3w's moded KSC35.

Can't quite describe the sound because it was kinda noisy then. People talking... party.gif

That would be the koss ksc-35.

Actually the story goes like this. I secured a deal with ting on the koss sometime back. But then I was too lazy to make a trip down so I asked my friend to collect it biggrin.gif

When he brought that home , I quickly snatched that phone and connected it to my laptop headphone jack. WOW! Strings sound very very nice(still remember I used fujii fumiya - true love). Much greater realism than the budget portable phone I previously owned - the mx500. And to think that mx500 is highly regarded for its price. The koss is leaps and bounds better(Well-almost) as compared to the sennheiser. If I remember correctly my friend paid $45 for the koss.

Amazed by the magic of ksc-35, I psycho-ed my friend to sell me his newly acquired ksc-35 in exchange for my mx500. The top up came from me of course. 10 dollars. That means I only paid $40 for my koss ksc-35. And I daresay it's unbeateable in the <100 dollars price range(those that I've heard) and might even extend to some <150 dollars category!

And I have to thank ting because he has included spare pads along with the modded pads biggrin.gif. The modded ones sound better of course . Midrange sounds cleaner, bass sounds clearer.

Now the ksc-35 is in the hands of N_T since its sole purpose has been replaced by my ety er-4s laugh.gif

The Aiwa V743 sounded real good with my amps at the mini meet, it did not hav the hissing noise like all the other earphones i tried on the cmoy/cha47

those that i did try :

most of the sony range of earphones (including the one kenshinz use the ear-plug type)

koss plug

cheapo phones that came with the players

even my A-T FC7 @ 32ohms hav hissing sound on Cmoy

all of the above did not sound good when amped no.gif

Hehehe... Mackie, you need a kid!