Sign in to follow this  
zap

How to connect 2 usual headphones to a pcdp

Need the expert advice from people here again for the above.

Do I get:

1) adaptor - is there such a device? Should be much cheaper than (2) but how bad is the SQ degradation?

or 2) portable amp - is there such a portable amp that can output 2 headphones?

or any other alternatives?

Once again, thank you in advance, and for your previous helps.

I'm no expert on stereo plug splitter SQ degradation, but I just got one of these from Apple Orchard recently for my ipod.. http://www.xtrememac.com/foripod/ishare.shtml

Headphones are a solidary hobby, with this you can share... drunk.gif

You can(not) also get a S$2 stereo splitter plug from some computer shops in Sim Lim or Funan. I got one some time ago, fell apart after 2 days tongue.gif (Don't flame me for the non-audiophillic recommendation!!!) (Imagine spending hundreds of dollars on CD player, Interconnects and headphones, then stick one of these in your headphone jack!!! yucky.gif )

On 2), check out

http://www.headphone.com/layout.php?topicI...ctID=0000010001

or

http://www.headphone.com/layout.php?topicI...ctID=0000010002

And let us know how it sounds when you get it biggrin.gif

Edited by Scriberex

Grado makes a 1/4 inch splitter and a mini to 1/4 inch adapter. But for your PCDP just get the el cheapo one . The new Airhead portable amp does come with 2 headphone out but it's gonna cost you at least S$350 or more. Check www.headphone.com for prices and email them for shipping rates - should be about US$34 to 38 for shipping.

Outputting 2 headphones using the said jack will require you to use identicale headphones or ones with the same impedance (ohms) otherwise it will affect the sound. Note also headphone output will also reduce with the use of 2 headphones.

In all honesty, PCDP really don't have enough juice to power most decent headphones and to expect them to power 2 headphones is kinda tough. Get a portable headamp and even then the impedence of 2 headphones is gonna affect sound quality. You can use headphones of different impedences/sensitivity but one headphone is gonna be lougher than the other

Note also headphone output will also reduce with the use of 2 headphones.

Actually, most Y-Adapters are wired in Parallel (I think that's the one), in which it lowers the impedence of the load, and thus, they play just as loudly as before.

Actually, most Y-Adapters are wired in Parallel (I think that's the one), in which it lowers the impedence of the load, and thus, they play just as loudly as before.

This is not true in every case and unlikely to be so on pcpd. A lesser impedance load will require more current to drive and if the source is capable of it, the only drawback would be a faster drain on battery life. If the source is unable to handle the required current output to drive 2 pairs of cans/ear buds, U may hear distortion at a lower volume setting as opposed to having one pair connected as the amplification stage reaches its threshold faster.

Edited by Mackie