headphonecrazy

Sennheiser HD650 available in Singapore!

Just heard the HD650 with stock cable & equinox cable. IMHO and brief experience with this cans, the stock cable sounded quite good and the equinox only added a little more weight to the sound. This must be one hack of a high impedance phones as I have to pump the Naim Headline V1 knob way up to 1-2 o'clock to get a normal output volume. It sounded totally different from the HD600, more like the HD580 but a little more polish. The quality of construction of the unit tested was however a big disappointment - the moulding was bad + you can see and feel the sharp ridge of the joins, otherwise it is a OK pair of cans, but that is just because I like and have used the HD580 for the last 7-8 years. wink.gifrolleyes.gif

Just heard the HD650 with stock cable & equinox cable. IMHO and brief experience with this cans, the stock cable sounded quite good and the equinox only added a little more weight to the sound. This must be one hack of a high impedance phones as I have to pump the Naim Headline V1 knob way up to 1-2 o'clock to get a normal output volume. It sounded totally different from the HD600, more like the HD580 but a little more polish. The quality of construction of the unit tested was however a big disappointment - the moulding was bad + you can see and feel the sharp ridge of the joins, otherwise it is a OK pair of cans, but that is just because I like and have used the HD580 for the last 7-8 years. wink.gifrolleyes.gif

In addition the Equinox gave the HD650 a little more air and slighlty better extention to the treble. Not too sure if you agree with me Sam.

Has anyone tried 650's stock cable on a 600? Is it a big improvement over the latter's cable?

The sonically they are about the same, except for the build. The HD650 cable is thicker and the plugs looks more solid than the ones on the HD600.

The reason I asked is because my personal experience of Equinox over stock cable of HD600 is an overwhelming success which negates the Archilles heel of the cans ie; bass extension and mid-treble clarity and transparency.

Crunching the above data, the 650 must have improved quite a lot over 600 and thus, less impaired by the similar stock cable.

Just heard the HD650 with stock cable & equinox cable.  IMHO and brief experience with this cans, the stock cable sounded quite good and the equinox only added a little more weight to the sound.  This must be one hack of a high impedance phones as I have to pump the Naim Headline V1 knob way up to 1-2 o'clock to get a normal output volume.  It sounded totally different from the HD600, more like the HD580 but a little more polish.  The quality of construction of the unit tested was however a big disappointment - the moulding was bad + you can see and feel the sharp ridge of the joins, otherwise it is a OK pair of cans, but that is just because I like and have used the HD580 for the last 7-8 years. wink.gif  rolleyes.gif

In addition the Equinox gave the HD650 a little more air and slighlty better extention to the treble. Not too sure if you agree with me Sam.

Yepp!

The reason I asked is because my personal experience of Equinox over stock cable of HD600 is an overwhelming success which negates the Archilles heel of the cans ie; bass extension and mid-treble clarity and transparency.

Crunching the above data, the 650 must have improved quite a lot over 600 and thus, less impaired by the similar stock cable.

IMHO, the HD650 only improve a tab bit over the HD600.

1. The sonic signature of the HD650 has more weight than the HD600.

2. The HD600 has more "air" than the HD650.

3. HD650 digs much deeper than the HD 600.

4. The HD650 can never be bright. I am not too sure if this is an improvement or a weakness. I prefer certain type of music to be slightly brighter ie. piano, harp etc etc. No worries about that as my DT931 can take care of those. headphone.gif

5. The HD650 is more natural sounding.