Sign in to follow this  
N@Z

SuperMicro impressions

i believe you can read upz some information on crossfeed here

http://www.sgheadphones.com/index.php?show...32&hl=crossfeed

Refer to the photo below. The recessed switch directly above the LED is for Xin(cross)feed. To the right is the digital volume control. The one for the far right is for decreasing & to the left of it is for increasing. For your info, the power switch is on the same side as the input socket.

Basically the crossfeed is to reduce the hard "left-center-right" soundstage or rather Headstage that headphones produce. It blends & brings the sound's relative position slightly more forward of your face (as opposed to the center).

DSCN1416.jpg

UPDATE - SuperMini V3 vs SuperMicro

(Sony D-EJ925 PCDP -> amp -> Etymotic ER4S/Beyer DT150

Sound:

I won't beat around the bush as this might be a little stale by now. The Micro is better but not as significantly as I expected. The differences are fairly clear & focuses mainly on two areas. The Micro sounds closest to the META in terms of sweet highs & clarity of vocals (Smoother than a MINT META too). Infact there is an impressive amount of detail & instrument seperation that can be heard in the Micro. V3 Mini sounds slightly muffled in comparison.

Both however do not have the bass weight or punch compared with a multi buffered (2x EL2001/channel) Portable META which has better control of deep bass & bass extension. I'm being a little critical here as that is when using the DT150. If you put it into prospective they're both still very good considering their minature sizes & lower voltage.

Oh one other thing, subjectively, I felt the Micro could handle high impedance headphones better than the V3 Mini as it required less volume to power the DT150 (250 ohms). I say subjectively as the digital volume control on the Mini is the older single button & the Micro has the newer more practical twin button version.

Misc:

Obviously with 3x AAA batteries the Mini lasts nearly forever, figuartively speaking. The Micro on the other hand, with the super bright LED light & DC to DC converter drains a poor single AAA alkaline battery in a matter of 2-3 days only, if left on overnight.

If I didn't compare them together I would have thought the differences are more obvious. V3 gives a good run for its money. I think if the current Mini has the same specification as the Micro (With AD8620 OPA) I would actually go for that if I wanted to be practical. It looks & feels more sturdier & still manages to be miniscule. What other amp can offer that & sound good to boot? The Micro is just so cute & mind bogglingly tiny to pass up! Just get rechargeable batteries! A multi buffered META still sounds better to me but it's size is like a hippo in comparison! LOL!

P.s.:

The DT150 is really great if you want to pick out flaws. I didn't notice before but on my DIY Klotz mini to mini cable there is an intermittent faint low frequency buzzing sound on the left channel not heard on the my DIY Canare cable or Plastic's one mini to mini. Might be the poor soldering joint?

DSCN1407.jpg

laugh.gif Woo a nice and great >>! impressioN headphone.gif

Thanks N@z for the review. Look forward to hearing the real thing next weekend at the meet. But will only get there after lunch, gotta work.

By the way, the Marketek mini to mini in the earlier picture looks really cool and sturdy. Is it a great mini i/c to get? Where did you get it and for how much?

Cheers!

Edited by Scriberex

If you mean the white one it is from Markertek. It's actually Canare F-12 plugs with Canare quad cables. You can buy it there but it might be cheaper for you to DIY it yourself as the raw materials are available in SG. It's not too difficult to do, if I can do it so can you! I just need more practice with soldering.

Sound wise I like it. It is smooth & detailed but slightly rolled off top end which sounds quite similar to the ones I made myself. The one I got from Tangent with the 90 degree Switchcraft plugs (now with av98m) sounds crisper but can sound a little bright on some equipment. This white one works great for taming bright sounding equipment. The Mini should still be OK with the big F-12 plugs unlike the Micro which looks out of place with something big sticking out by the side of it.