Sign in to follow this  
Scriberex

Sony D-330

user posted image

Bought this Sony PCDP way back in 1995 during a trip to Japan, used it quite a bit then eventually it got chucked among various paperbags and memorabilia and faded into obscurity. Thankfully, I had removed the battery or the compartment would have been coroded.

During a recent Christmas spring-cleaning, managed to dig it up and it spluttered back to life with a pair of fresh Energizers. Amazingly, after the numerous drops and long hybernation, it works as good as new. Apart from some discoloration at the edge of the case, and scratches on the print, the titanium look casing is still looking pretty spiffy.

Soundwise, I'm pretty impressed, but have not compared it with the latest models.

It has no problems powering any of my portable cans from the headphone out or lineout. Currently using it with my Supermini v3, Fishball's mini i/c and ATH-EW9 through the line-out. After listening to the EW9s, don't think I'll ever go back to the PX100s. With this setup, female jazz vocals are lush and warm, belted out with conviction. The EW9s really bring out the best in percussions with plenty of bass, but accurate, clear bass, not at all bloated. I especially love the clarity and accuracy of percussion instruments (e.g. the fast bass and bongos in Cachaito's album, Marc Anthony's album "Libre"). Guitars are rendered very lifelike, fast and sparkling.

Portability-wise, frankly not very. Back in 1995, Sony's ESP shock protection was good for about 12 seconds. Not for jogging, I think. Ipod works better. Being clip-ons, the EW9 don't isolate and are not for walking around in noisy environments.

Fishball's mini i/c works great, but frankly, I can't make any definitive comments about its sonic qualities. Tried to compare it with the freebie i/c that came with my Sonic Gear computer speakers, but can't really point out any major differences. Maybe one of those with more experienced ears may want to do a blind test to compare it with the other existing mini i/cs during the meet. headphone.gif

Cheers!

Scriberex

You think that is amazing?

I think I have one of the oldest Sony CD/radio walkman in the world.

It had no anti-shock, but I think the sound from that could be very good. Those days I was just a junior high school student and knew nothing about good sound tongue.gif

OT, I still have two units of Sony's D5 - the first "portable discman" manuafactured that needs to be serviced, anyone knows of a place or someone that have parts for them?

HPC,

Do you have the ATL-3000? If so, that is one hell of an expensive pair of phones!

Tasty looking clipons scriberex! You can try my D-EJ925 during this meet with the SuperMicro & your EW9 wink.gif

OT, I still have two units of Sony's D5 - the first "portable discman"  manuafactured that needs to be serviced, anyone knows of a place or someone that have parts for them?

HPC,

Do you have the ATL-3000? If so, that is one hell of an expensive pair of phones!

If you are thinking about buying the L3000, they are much cheaper here in Singapore. biggrin.gif

how cheap? tongue.gif

anyway, those clips look sweet! sadly they don't isolate sad2.gif

my dream is to use the px200 on the move and the grados sr-80 at home (after my px100 has a new owner tongue.gif)