Sign in to follow this  
Firefox

The "Big Ben" amp.

Excellent piece of work. 

It would be better if you have the option of more than one input.

Are you going to sell this commercially?

Having multiple inputs means adding a selector switch into the signal path and extra solder joints. I wasn't willing to sacrifice sonics for this as not everyone would need such a feature.

BTW, how much did the BB cost you in terms of parts alone?

Is it for sale?

CMK he's in a army camp somewhere ulu right now getting his underware wet (it's raining heavily right now) LOL. I know it's for sale if the price is right LOL. If you wish to contact him PM me and I'll sms his mobile number to him. Wait till night to get a response (that's when he activates his mobile).

Cheers

Rameish

CMK he's in a army camp somewhere ulu right now getting his underware wet (it's raining heavily right now) LOL. I know it's for sale if the price is right LOL. If you wish to contact him PM me and I'll sms his mobile number to him. Wait till night to get a response (that's when he activates his mobile).

Cheers

Rameish

Yes, underwear very wet... Not from rain. From entering the waters at live firing area during our recce... Managed to find some unexploded mortar shells.. Hehe...

A good desing that but ca nbe improved further if you don't mind me saying. One good tweak that you can try is to use 2 12V sealed lead acid batteries instead of the transformer type power supply. You will lose a bit of head room but they would be near-noiseless. With the consumption so low, you'll probably have to recharge them every 3 months or more on continous running. I designed an MC step up phonostage with a 9V batery and it was clean. tongue.gif

Edited by DIYerStraits

A good desing that but ca nbe improved further if you don't mind me saying. One good tweak that you can try is to use 2 12V sealed lead acid batteries instead of the transformer type power supply. You will lose a bit of head room but they would be near-noiseless. With the consumption so low, you'll probably have to recharge them every 3 months or more on continous running. I designed an MC step up phonostage with a 9V batery and it was clean. tongue.gif

I've thought of that but opamps have high enough PSRR to behave very well on a well regulated linear power supply. ie. Noiseless..

Secondly, I wanted +/- 15v on the power supply. Also, I can at anytime change the power supply to SLA batteries instead since I opted for the modular approach.

Speed is also another factor that I considered since I needed a fast sounding amp. No point going SS if the amp is going to be slow sounding. Batteries alone are not fast enough for me. =)

I regret to inform everyone that is interested that the BB amp in now in the hands of a caring new owner. Firefox may be working on a all-out no holds barred MkIII version. Just to give you an indication he's thinking of putting all the money from the MkII sale into parts for the MkIII.

Frankly I don't know what better parts he'll be using since the mkII alrady has things like hoveland music caps, nobel pot, Hammond cases, Neutrick combo jacks , Telema tansformer and other premium stuff.

I suspect its gonna be a dual mono design - yup 2 transformers - one for each channel. Will it sound different? Will it be the end all for upgradtis fever? We'll see in future editions of Mad Mod World - stay tuned.

the amp is only a few steps away from u CMK biggrin.gif

i also saw the amp...almost laugh.gif it was still in the new owner's bag then

the amp is only a few steps away from u CMK biggrin.gif

i also saw the amp...almost laugh.gif it was still in the new owner's bag then

Argh ohmy.gif so near and yet, so far sad2.gif

console.gif

the amp is only a few steps away from u CMK  biggrin.gif

i also saw the amp...almost  laugh.gif it was still in the new owner's bag then

Argh ohmy.gif so near and yet, so far sad2.gif

console.gif

lol.giflol.gif