RawHit

Cables really do make a difference!!!

Frankly my Kimber Selects and Power Cords, Conditioners etc were from an era when my child's middle name was hi-fi LOL. Yet in my humber mid-fi system I can live with other IC like the Grado Signature and the Silver Streaks. Yes it will show up your equipment less but then it depends at what stage in the hi-fi build process you're at. For instance, I do know that RawHit has a HP-1 and a MPX3 - don't know what source he gonna get but the KS-1030, KS-1021, KS-1011 or another brand with the same quality will help him in auditioning of a CDP/SACD/DVD A player Bringing a less transparent IC will mask the true character of the source and you may end up buying the wrong thing - unless RawHit can audition all three at the same time which I think he can't. On the other hand you RawHit already have a system but wish to tweak the sound in a particular direction, then picking an IC becomes somwhat more easier.

My 2ç

In my humble opinion, cables and power conditioners should not exceed ten percent of your total audio / video budget. It makes no sense to buy a $1200 USD IC if your source is less than that. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Furthermore, cables and power conditioners fall under the last ten percent tweak / refinement of what you've already assembled as your primary audio / video rig. Also, be wary of terminology designed to stupor you. If you can't look up the terminology on the Internet and get a layman's understanding of what it is exactly then move on.

SACD & DVD-Audio tend to benefit from moderately expensive to high end ICs and power conditioners. In my experience, I've found that these new technologies really do benefit from select ICs and power conditioners because of the increased dynamic range, THD, frequency spectrum, etc. If you decide to invest in either or both hi-rez formats, then it is imperative that you have the right equipment to take advantage of their technical improvements. In other words, you got to make sure you have a 1st or 2nd tier headphone amplifier and ICs + power conditioner to boot. Otherwise, it's really not worthwhile at all and the best you'll be experiencing is a dabbling effect -- you'll listen for awhile and move on not having heard it at its' full potential. These are just my opinions after having owned a budget universal. I'm moving on to a solidly middle fi universal player next week -- Pioneer Elite DV59-AVi. I'll report back with my findings in a few weeks time here at SGHeadphones, if anyone cares.

Guys, the law of diminishing returns sets in. The higher you go up the ladder, the more ex it will be to squeeze that last bit of detail. Unless that particular cable company has some proprietry technology which makes them sound special. I did experiement with JPS range of cables, their top of the line Superconductor 2 ($1.3k) and the FX ($0.6k) and the difference was that the SC2 gave you that last bit of resolution/separation and sounded just that bit more "correct". But is it worth 2x of the FX. At that point of time when I was evaluating these cables, my value system said "No".

What I generally try to do is to find that mix of good interconnect which represents excellent value and get that. The one that comes to mind is the Synergistic Research Synergy 1000 which I purchased years ago and still performs well. It only cost me $100+ for about 2m. IMO it betters the Klotz in having more sparkle without sounding bright/un-musical.

Welly makes a good point abt power & interconnects being important, not just ics, although I feel that somewhere around 15% is a more likely figure. YMMV.

Oh and Welly, if you can, take a look at the Denon 5900(A-11 in Singapore). I think you will be more satisfied with both the sound and picture quality than with the Pioneer. I've run my Denon in for about 3 weeks now and I can safely say that the sound quality of its CD, DVDA and SACD playback are competitive with dedicated CD players in the same price range, plus you get a top DVD player. Truly excellent value.

CMK:

Yeah, I know. I've told all of the Internet community that the Denon DVD 5900 would be mine but I can't afford to be a bad steward of God's riches anymore. I can't afford to bust my budget and fund my other top financial priorities including my competitive shooting career, paying off my Direct Student Loans debt slowly, and saving up for my MFA in English Creative Writing at a very good graduate school. This is just a hobby, an obsessive one at that, but it's not going to get ahead in my life so why pour in the money?

Yes, the Denon DVD 5900 succeeded in becoming THE middle fi universal player (as was the intentions of Denon in designing this model) but I'll take a pass on it now. I can be content whether rich or poor with whatever audio gear God has blessed unto me. The Pioneer Elite DV59-AVi will make me happy and I am betting that it supports the DVD +R/RW & DVD -R/RW formats too (all of my research in AVS Forum indicates so).

I'm moving on to a solidly middle fi universal player next week -- Pioneer Elite DV59-AVi. I'll report back with my findings in a few weeks time here at SGHeadphones, if anyone cares.

Welly,

please do let us know your impressions on DV59-AVi. That is one of the players (other is Denon 5900) which I am interested in checking out.

cmk,

where can I buy the denon A-11 in SG? Any idea about the approximate market prices?

You've got another component (melos SHA-1) which I would love to listen to headphone.gif

Welly, good luck with your shooting and studies. Do let us know your impressions of the Pioneer.

RawHit, I got the A11 from Home Theatre Room in IMM, look for Edmund. I think it best you discuss prices with Edmund directly. If you want to listen to the Melos, drop me a PM and we can arrange a feasible date. I stay in the Clementi area.

has anyone here tried siltech?