Sign in to follow this  
extremecans

Enhancement(s) to MF X-Can V3???

Hi, guys!

Thxs for the valuable inputs...

Apparently, I just called Frankie and he quoted me $150 for just a unit of Siemens CCa, so that will set me back $300 for a pair!!! That's very expensive indeed... I thought headphonecrazy managed to get a pair for around $100++???

Nevertheless, he was also not willing to do any modification on the capacitors... So how did you (to headphonecrazy) get them changed the last time? I'm a novice to tubes and I was thinking along the line of headphonecrazy's mods on my amp.

If it isn't much of a trouble to ask (to headphonecrazy), are you able to assist me in modifyng my unit? Alternatively, should I just get those stock tubes change first and contemplate the other upgrades gradually in the future...

And to Mackie, thxs for the revelation piece of advice... I mean since I've already gotten the MF, I should just stick to it, period, and contemplate any enhancement(s) that I can "squeeze" out of it.

Lastly, thxs again for your kind assistance... You guys have been a great help!

Cheers!

biggrin.gif

The thing I wish to warn you regarding mods is that they will not make day and night difference. The sonic signature of an amp depends on its design. Mods such as changin of caps, only add refinements to sonic signature of the amp in most cases. However this sonic signature also depends on your source and interconnects. Therefore if you really like the X-cans V3 then mod it to improve it and not mod it to change the sound. Last but not list it is impossible to use one headphone for all genre of music, you need at least 2.

If you finally decide to mod the X-cans V3, you can always contact the resident DIyer, firefox. Drop him a PM. However he is only available on the weekend since he is still serving his NS.

Hi, all. Sorry for the OT.

A month after my aforementioned post, I must say that the little modifications that I had done to my V3 have rewarded substantially.

After replacing the stock caps to upgraded equivalents, changing the stock wall wart PSU to a higher powered PSU as well as tuberolling, this gem's definitely in another league altogether!

The noise floor has lowered and imaging has opened up further. The mids are sweeter and the bass is taut and packs more oomphs and extension. The transient attack is immediate. Now, this baby really sings!

Further enhancements in the pipeline are changing the internal wirings and perhaps installing a stepped attentuator.

For owners of the MF V3, this unit's sure hell of a tweaker's paradise!

Perhaps, it's also time to get a pair of Moon Audio Silver Dragon headphone cables for my Senn HD600... Hmmm...

smoke.gif

Incidentally, much as I hate to admit it, and though listening to headphone does bring about much enjoyment, I've realised that I'm still very much a stereophile at heart. And nothing beats hearing a musical hi-fi set up at work!!!

laugh.gif

Edited by extremecans

Hi, Leng.

Nah... after much contemplation, I've decided to keep it... just to power my HD600...

Anyway, it's used mainly for late night listening sessions...

So what did you get the Cary SLi80 afterall?

Cheers!

tongue.gif

Hi, Leng.

Nah... after much contemplation, I've decided to keep it... just to power my HD600...

Anyway, it's used mainly for late night listening sessions...

So what did you get the Cary SLi80 afterall?

Cheers!

tongue.gif

Still deciding between the 300SEI and SLI80.

hehehe,

I liked your comment about mods leng and tend to agree. I would say that mods can improve the sound by up to 10%.

Cary SLI80 vs Cary 300 sei .... will be quite somthing. I think you'll need t6 upgrade your CDP leng.

hehehe,

I liked your comment about mods leng and tend to agree. I would say that mods can improve the sound by up to 10%.

Cary SLI80 vs Cary 300 sei .... will be quite somthing. I think you'll need t6 upgrade your CDP leng.

Will be getting the Audio Analogue player if I can sell the consonance