Sign in to follow this  
N@Z

DR Labs

I was able to acquire this rack with the kind help from headphonecrazy. Got it from

X-Audio at Bukit Timah Plaza. Mine was the last set & it cost a mere $180.

user posted image

It took me less than an hour to set it up (I am a non DIY kinda guy after all) with HPC's prior pointers to avoid installing the cross members the wrong way round. I did however used the wrong bolts & incorrect orientation of the center pieces initially. Luckily that didn't take long to rectify but the bolts did damage 2 cross members slightly. Anyhoo, it's up, it's rigid & it looks great!

Edited by N@Z

The top tier needs a plinth so I can place the Cayin on top of it.

user posted image

Edited by N@Z

The 'underbelly'.

user posted image

Edited by N@Z

And finally the pointy bits...

user posted image

Edited by N@Z

Har har! At about a hundred a piece I'm not so sure! It would look cool though.

S$380/set of three...............another choice in this price bracket are Goldmund cones perhaps.

Naz: If U ever wanna sell your Nikon digital camera........................ innocent.gif

Edited by Mackie

Will the Goldmund cones be able to seat on the cross members like the 'Feet of silence'? Seems pricey considering the cost of the stand is only a fraction of it!

Goldmund cones look like any other cones ie. on the outside. "FOS" are designed for racks like yours.

Naz: If U ever wanna sell your Nikon digital camera........................ innocent.gif

OT: I won't be in a hurry to do that tongue.gif it takes great macro shots & photos with a tripod however I can't seem to do anything about my shaky hands especially low light situations, I'm not too fond of using the built in flash but that helps reduce the blurry shots. Nearly all of the shots I took at the Super Mini Meet came out mediocre.

Anyhoo, here's a shot of the damaged cross member... dry.gif used the wrong bolt. Luckily it's on the other side so can't see it from the front.

DSCN1741.jpg

DSCN1741.jpg

have a qns.

do this type of stand sonically improve the sound or just for the beauty of it?

reduces mechanical vibration? unsure.gif

No idea. This was recommended to me but the design is similar to the even more amazing Swiss 'Solid Tech' Rack of Silence.

One thing's for sure though it is very rigid once set up. Once I get my Cayin & DAC on the rack then I will be able to assess whether sonic improvements are there.

Stands/racks seek to reduce mechnical feedback through isolation and grounding of mechanical energy inherent from audio equipments via couping to ground. Whether it's psychological to some or obvious to others, racks/stands give U a peace of mind that each of your gears are standing on solid ground as opposed to a study desk or stacking.

Edited by Mackie