Sign in to follow this  
Rameish

Grado PS-1 Pro

Have some sad news for Grado fans and others who are interested in new headphones. Jon Grado has just informed Music By Design that the Grado PS-1 Pro was custom manufactured for the German market. As such there will be no Grado PS-1 Pro for the Singapore or any other market - for now at least ;-)

At Euro 1,250 a set it's not for the faint hearted.

sleep.gif at that price i think only 1 person is able to own it lol.gif

is it possible to get someone locally to mould an aluminium casing for the Grados smile.gif maybe based on the SR-60 or 80

i think the case of the Grados makes quite a big difference to the sound, i see a lot of people on Head-fi modding their lower range Grados for a different sound, some were quite cool smile.gif

i'm already thinking of upgrading my SR-80 biggrin.gif maybe to a SR-225 or the Aluminium SR-325 so i can mod the SR-80 hammer.gif

Tropicalrips,

Many a time I thought that too. Unfortunately the drivers of the SR-80 is different from the SR-225 so you'll have to do more than change the housing. You may wish to purchase an ST-225 and try convering to to an SR-325 as they use the same drivers but the headphone cable is differnt.

Also the RS-1 drivers are bigger then the RS-2 (again different drivers - that's not on grado's website.

If only life were that easy (sigh).

ic...i'm thinking more in trems of building my own casing smile.gif starting with the SR-80

i'll look around for those people in the aluminium forming industry, some hobby craft people are also able to make their own moulds for special parts that they can't buy off the shelf

hav anyone here tried removing the Grado drivers from their casing before?

Grado mods

there's 1 mod here that changed the whole driver casing using a PVC pipe, should be able to find a same size aluminium drainage pipe smile.gif

Edited by tropicalrips

Grado says they use a non-resonent alu alloy for the 325. Maybe try wood tropicalrips as I have a feeling that a) it would be easier cool.gif it'll be less harsh sounding then metal. You could use MDF but that absorbs moisture if you dont treat it.

ok rameish, i go shop around hardware shops for suitable driver housings smile.gif

i guess removing the driver will probably void the warrenty of the headphones.

so for those new owners of the SR-80 :

DON"T try this at home, if u are not ready to void your warrenty. i'm doing this at my own RISK

happy.gif

You not only voild the warrenty but grado won't even service it because it would no longer be a grado product once it has a different housing. Even if you put it back together again the type of glue used would give away the fact that it has been tampered with if you do decide to put it back together again as an SR-80. So it's a one-way trip as far as the warrenty goes.

I really don't know what you wish to try this bec its not possible yo get it to sound like an SR-325 or RS-1 with a different housing. But good luck if you do decide to try it. And posy the pictures here please.

You might wanna try to angle the drivers a bit,

This is what I would do if I were you and decided to voild my warrenty:

1) Experiment with different cable types

2) Remove the rear screen (where the SR-80 logo is attached to) and replace it with a metal mesh type. This would result in better air flow and maybe "better soundstaging"

3) If the above 2 are successful then proceed to stage 3 of finding a replacement housing

The PVC tubing mods(link above in you post} were not very successful as the modder found out so maybe you don't want to go there.

Also you'll probably heed another SR-80 to compare with the modded one.

It's pretty expensive DIY project but I guess since you are doing it for experimentatioin purposes then just have fun.

Remind me not to tell you any secrets! LOL!

So you getting the PS-1?

Looks like it N@Z - way to go hc. So you dod paid for your last contract ic. BTW your "saxaphone case" is still with me. Hope you have enough hardware in you "violin case" for your next assignment on the mainland ;-)